Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Light Log Cabin

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Van. Island, BC
    Posts
    1,294
    Blog Entries
    1

    Light Log Cabin

    I so http://www.quiltershomemag.com/patte...html?idx=13608 want to make this quilt . But I don't know how to make it longer without losing the 3D effect.
    True4uca

  2. #2
    Power Poster joyce888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,184
    Blog Entries
    1
    I think you would need to add another row to the left and bottom. This would continue the 3D effect.
    Joyce

    Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

  3. #3
    Super Member charsuewilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,203
    One easy way would be to add borders. I would use 1-3 of the colors in the quilt.

    A second easy way would be to increase the size of the blocks, but this will increase the size in both dimensions. I believe the yardage requirement would increase by 3x
    Changing to 3 1/2" strips would increase the size by 1.5. Strip lengths would increase to 6.5, 9.5 and 12.5". I believe the yardage requirement would increase by 4x.
    Changing to 4.5" strips would increase the size by 2x. Strip lengths would increase to 8.5, 12.5, and 16.5"

    I'm with Joyce888, though, to increase the size, add another column and row.
    Last edited by charsuewilson; 05-23-2013 at 10:55 AM.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Van. Island, BC
    Posts
    1,294
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    One easy way would be to add borders. I would use 1-3 of the colors in the quilt.

    A second easy way would be to increase the size of the blocks, but this will increase the size in both dimensions. I believe the yardage requirement would increase by 3x
    Changing to 3 1/2" strips would increase the size by 1.5. Strip lengths would increase to 6.5, 9.5 and 12.5". I believe the yardage requirement would increase by 4x.
    Changing to 4.5" strips would increase the size by 2x. Strip lengths would increase to 8.5, 12.5, and 16.5"

    I'm with Joyce888, though, to increase the size, add another column and row.
    If I add to both the bottom & left won't it still be a square. I want it to be rectangular.
    True4uca

  5. #5
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    18,398
    Blog Entries
    2
    I've seen some photos posted in this forum of that quilt. lovely.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

  6. #6
    Super Member charsuewilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,203
    You could draw out rectangles in EQ7, and see what it looks like.

    Otherwise, the only way would be to add borders unevenly, e.g., one on the side and two or more wider borders on the bottom.

    One more thought. Try printing out 2 copies of the picture in the pattern. Then try overlaying the pictures. The first thing I tried was to take the top row to the bottom, but then the red is next to red.

    Then I tried pasting the 2d and 3rd row to the bottom. But then there is a partial purple next to purple. But if you change the original bottom right to orange and keep the whole partial purple -- take the copy, leave the orange in the upper right, the purple half in the top row, then cut out the rest of the top row, and paste that over the bottom row of the original. That will give you 2 diagonal rows of the optical illusion. The quilt will be 3x5 rows. PM me if this isn't clear.

  7. #7
    Super Member charsuewilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,203
    The 3x5 quilt I suggested would have
    purple, red, orange
    red, orange, red
    orange, red, ORANGE
    red orange red
    orange red, purple

    The red square in the middle would have purple in the upper left and lower right corners.

  8. #8
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,715
    If your library has a copy of StrataVarious Quilts by Barbara Persing & Mary Hoover, they have a couple layouts of a similar idea in their book. I know they use a different technique & placement of colours but it might give you an idea on how to turn it into a rectangle.Name:  100_4537_edited (Small).JPG
Views: 3726
Size:  38.6 KB
    Last edited by thimblebug6000; 05-23-2013 at 11:52 AM.

  9. #9
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,306
    I just finished this quilt, and I made mine larger by adding borders. It is still square though. It ended up being 61 inches square. I added a two inch inner border and a five inch outer border.

    I know that isn't what you are wanting to do, but perhaps it is a starting spot. If you made the top and bottom borders bigger...well, now I can't visualize that either, but...there ought to be a way to do it.

    I will attach a picture of mine. It isn't quilted yet in the picture, but I haven't taken a picture of the finished product yet. I literally just finished putting the binding on it. Perhaps the picture will generate an idea for you that will help...

    Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #10
    Super Member charsuewilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,203
    Dina, I see yours has passed inspection.

  11. #11
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,306
    Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    Dina, I see yours has passed inspection.
    Yes, Hot Rod, my 16 pound quilt inspector, has to approve every quilt I make! His idea, not mine.

    Dina

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Van. Island, BC
    Posts
    1,294
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    The 3x5 quilt I suggested would have
    purple, red, orange
    red, orange, red
    orange, red, ORANGE
    red orange red
    orange red, purple

    The red square in the middle would have purple in the upper left and lower right corners.
    Going away for weekend, so have to put this away. I've just tried making several color copies. Cutting the blocks apart & adding another row. Almost worked,of course I'm almost cross eyed. Your suggestion makes more sense, start all over again.
    True4uca

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Van. Island, BC
    Posts
    1,294
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I just finished this quilt, and I made mine larger by adding borders. It is still square though. It ended up being 61 inches square. I added a two inch inner border and a five inch outer border.

    I know that isn't what you are wanting to do, but perhaps it is a starting spot. If you made the top and bottom borders bigger...well, now I can't visualize that either, but...there ought to be a way to do it.

    I will attach a picture of mine. It isn't quilted yet in the picture, but I haven't taken a picture of the finished product yet. I literally just finished putting the binding on it. Perhaps the picture will generate an idea for you that will help...

    Dina
    Wow, adding borders looks great. I assumed I couldn't do borders.
    True4uca

  14. #14
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Posts
    15,969
    Blog Entries
    3
    Ditto what joyce888 said.

  15. #15
    Power Poster alikat110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Waco, Texas
    Posts
    15,189
    Blog Entries
    9
    Redrafting for rectangles would be my solution. I love the added borders.

  16. #16
    Super Member WMUTeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Portage, Michigan
    Posts
    3,134
    My daughter made this quilt a couple of years ago. She said it was really very easy. I like the idea of adding borders to make it larger. It would frame the 3D effect of the quilt as is.

  17. #17
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,197
    This is a Karen Combs pattern. She has several books out. Check those and see if she has a pattern that is rectangular.

  18. #18
    Power Poster twinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    15,482
    That is pretty but over my head

  19. #19
    Super Member catmcclure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bay Area near San Francisco
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by true4uca View Post
    I so http://www.quiltershomemag.com/patte...html?idx=13608 want to make this quilt . But I don't know how to make it longer without losing the 3D effect.
    An easier way to do it would be to change the design from squares to rectangles. It would be fairly easy to elongate the quilt that way. Would mean redoing the instructions, but it wouldn't be that hard to do. You still get the 3-D effect.
    Name:  Light Log Cabin Redo.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  228.4 KB

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Centerville, WA
    Posts
    1,253
    I really like the way Dina done hers. You could just add thinner border all the way around & then another thin border on the sides & a wider top & bottom border. That would make it longer & would really frame the blocks & make them pop.

  21. #21
    Super Member Dina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,306
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    That is pretty but over my head
    Actually, it is an easy pattern. I was surprised, but it did come up when I googled Easy Free Quilt Patterns. I just didn't believe it would be easy, as many folks define that word differently than I do...

    Dina

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.