Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting >

Lighting

Lighting

Old 05-27-2022, 07:26 AM

Default Lighting

I have a converted attic space that I am using as my fabric stash storage and pressing station. The space is great but has no windows.

I need very bright, strong overhead lighting that mimics daylight.

Has anyone got a ceiling light fixture/bar they use and can recommend?
Old 05-27-2022, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I found these and they have made a massive difference in my sewing room.
Attached Thumbnails indoor-light-bubl.jpg  
Old 05-27-2022, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I have these too. One over my cutting table and one over my sewing machine. They are wonderful. But can't find bulbs for them except through Grace company. The bulbs don't last as long as stated. I think I will have the fixtures removed and put regular fixtures in for light bulbs as I posted above.
https://www.graceframe.com/en/produc...ness-led-light
Old 05-27-2022, 08:49 AM
mkc

Look for high lumens (brightness), high CRI (color-rendering index) of 90+ if possible

We use these in my husband's shop and they are good, just not high CRI

Old 05-27-2022, 09:03 AM

Without seeing your space's setup, it's hard to recommend a light fixture. So much depends on how and where you can install or hang it (free-standing lamp vs overhead lighting?), how much space you need to light, how you are able to power the fixture (hard wire or plug in?).
However, I think the *temperature* of the bulb will be most important to you, rather than the fixture itself. There are a range of temperatures, from warm white (think of traditional incandescent bulbs) to bright daylight (think office spaces). On the side of the box of every light bulb is a temperature scale. Once you choose a fixture, look for bulbs that are in the 5000 range. That is what's considered bright daylight.
I have a lamp over my sewing machine that actually can adjust from warm white to bright daylight. I love it. I prefer the bright daylight during working hours, and the softer, mellower light in the evenings.

Attached Thumbnails light-bulb-color-temp.png  
Old 05-27-2022, 11:16 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
However, I think the *temperature* of the bulb will be most important to you, rather than the fixture itself. There are a range of temperatures, from warm white (think of traditional incandescent bulbs) to bright daylight (think office spaces). On the side of the box of every light bulb is a temperature scale. Once you choose a fixture, look for bulbs that are in the 5000 range. That is what's considered bright daylight.
CRI is critical - a 3000K bulb with a high CRI (90+) is going to show fabric/thread color much more accurately than a 5000K bulb with low (82 or less) CRI.

I have 3500K 90+ CRI thin-profile LED disk/wafer lights in my sewing space but that style isn't appropriate for a pitched ceiling that is likely in an attic space.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:52 PM

Just a word of caution. The fixture needs to be able to support the wattage of the bulb that you use. Otherwise it becomes a fire hazard. Just because the bulb will screw into the fixture's socket, doesn't mean that the fixture supports that wattage.

Ask me how I know....

Last edited by quiltsfor; 05-27-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:16 PM

I have a bunch of windows in my sewing room, but once the light drops (3:30 p.m. in winter), no amount of light from overhead works. There are shadows everywhere. That's why I don't sew at night.

Maybe I am the only one experiencing this?

hugs,
charlotte
Old 05-28-2022, 02:14 AM

I have overhead lighting, plus 3 large windows on two different walls, so that is a big plus.

But as charlottequilts mentioned, shadows tend to bother me as well, so I also use pole lamps that I can move and adjust as I need them. I have pole lamps that each have 3 adjustable lights on them and have enough for each of my stations so I don't have to move them around the room, just move and/or adjust them a few inches or feet at each station. I pretty much have them set up now that I just need to adjust the aim of the adjustable lights once in a while. Each of the adjustable lights on the poles, can also be turned on separately as well. I can turn one/two/or all three lights on the pole on as needed.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

LED bulbs uses less wattage and produce less heat. The 150 watt equivalent LED bulb uses 24 watts. of power. I like halogen bulbs the best but they produce heat, use a lot of power, and don't last very long. I was changing them out ever few months.