Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lightweight machine to travel? >

Lightweight machine to travel?

Lightweight machine to travel?

Old 09-29-2013, 07:36 PM

I love my featherweights for that...of course I love them for everything. Lol
Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 AM

Check out the Kenmore 1040, it was made in the 70s. It is small, has a cute white case, but is very powerful. The advantage, it has a zig zag. I got mine on eBay, cleaned it and it is just terrific, all metal construction inside and out. Do not buy new plastic, they will loosen and not do decent straight stitch, they can't due to the plastic guts. I paid $100 for my, as we call it, Ketherweight. The Featherweights are good, just more expensive. I have tuned a fair number of them.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:54 AM

[I] have two Brothers that are very light and easy for traveling.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 AM

I have a featherweight and love her. But for versatility, I really like the Brother cs6000i I purchased from Amazon for $139.00. Although I usually do mainly straight stitching there are times when having a zigzag or serpentine stitch is nice, and I love the needle down feature when doing something complicated. I use both of them equally. I think if I could only have one, I'd go with the Brother. BTW, I use both several times a week since I often piece quilts while watching videos, and they fit on a small TV type table.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

This is the picture of a Singer Featherweight. They are the perfect machine for piecing and make a beautiful straight stitch. They are extremely durable. I use mine daily and exclusively for a great straight stitch. They are also very, very easy to maintain. They weigh about 11 lbs and come in a handy case that carries all the accessories. With the extended flap up, they are about 14" long. However, I don't think you can find one in your price range unless you get lucky.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]438865[/ATTACH]

In your price range, I agree with the Janome Jem.

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
I will check out the brother machines. I am a bit concerned no let's say I have no knowledge of featherweights. I see pictures posted on the board of vintage singer sewing machines and wonder if those are the featherweights ?
Some are very pretty and some look as though they need to see an electrician and a degree in engineering when it comes to threading, winding the bobbin , and setting the tensions.
Attached Thumbnails 1955-singer-featherweight.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 AM

I have a white featherweight all packed up in an insulated cooler and ready at a moments notice!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
I will check out the brother machines. I am a bit concerned no let's say I have no knowledge of featherweights. I see pictures posted on the board of vintage singer sewing machines and wonder if those are the featherweights ?
Some are very pretty and some look as though they need to see an electrician and a degree in engineering when it comes to threading, winding the bobbin , and setting the tensions.
No degree needed. Easiest threading and everything else. Nothing much to do but keep clean and oiled. You would love one if you had one. I have two and got both on Craig's list!!
I take mine to classes and quilt camp.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by leaha View Post
It took me a bit of time to use my FW's as I am so a Pfaffie! But took a couple of my FWs to retreat last week and I love them, so easy to pack into and out of car and into class. I really need a small machine as I have a VERY small car, (a smart car) and packing 2 machine, and all the other stuff I took along, well any way just fell in love with my little Singer 221s, Have 6 of them, easy to care for and I have them for my 4H classes, and for guests. EAsy to use thread and easy to fill bobbin. Got the dvd & book on how to service them myself, sure saves me money.
My vote would be for a FW
I just got back from western KY. Visited three quilt shops and loved them all especially two of them. My choice for travel is my featherweight every time...
Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 AM

Some in my class use the Janome/Hello Kittly machine from Sears for $100. You can also get them on Amazon. I got one for my grandddaughter and they are very light and very simple. No thread cutter or needle down but easy to pack.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:09 AM

I looked and looked for a lighter machine. My choice was a little more pricey, but exactly what I wanted...a Janome 3160. It weighs 12 lbs and has the full features of my big Janome . Needle down, 3 speed, start and stop button (for my 6 y/o granddaughter) many, many stitches, great for free motion and ditch quilting with an included extension platform. Really performs as well as my 6600P. I love it.