Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lightweight Sewing Machine for Quilt Classes >

Lightweight Sewing Machine for Quilt Classes

Lightweight Sewing Machine for Quilt Classes

Old 04-16-2012, 02:08 PM

Hi....just a word from a mum of two daughters !
I have two beautiful daughters aged 25 and 23.
I gave them both really nice machines. My oldest daughter has taken on board my passion for sewing and when time allows in her busy life loves to make things and always wants to come with me to quilt shows....as for my other daughter....absolutely no interest whatsoever...I am sure the hems of her trousers are held up with sticky tape... and goodness knows what happens if she were to lose a button ! Her passion is music, dance and singing.....and I love them both just the same, but her machine has never seen light of day and is probably under a stack of clothes that need mending in her cupboard.
Before you spend loads of money on a fabulous computerised machine find out first whether she really will ever use it and if she doesn't will you be OK with the fact that it will just gather dust.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:41 PM

To Aborning: If it is the Janome 3160 QDC - Get it. I have had mine for 3 months and have taken it one retreats already and I just love the way it sews. It also has the scissors on it which is hard to find and a less expensive machine. Just love it.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 AM

Do a web search, the Jem is much cheaper than that.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:34 PM

I have a Babylock Audrey and it is great. Light weight and computerized.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 AM

I bought a Bernina Activa 140 yesterday on EBay. Got it for $394 so am excited that I got it for a good price. I bought it for my aughter to use and I will use it for taking along to classes, retreats, etc. I used to have a Bernina Activa 230 and I have heard that the 140 is very similar to the 200 Series so I am super excited to get this machine. Maybe it will peak my daughter's interest now to start to do some quilting since she has a computerized machine that is "hers". And it doesn't matter if she doesn't use it because I plan to use it to take to classes and retreats. (I'm sure I'll use it more than her!--but maybe someday that will change.)