Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Like a Carpenter's Wheel or Star block, but bigger? >

Like a Carpenter's Wheel or Star block, but bigger?

Like a Carpenter's Wheel or Star block, but bigger?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:14 PM

What size sq. would I use to make a quilt for a full size bed.? Love your pattern.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1000projects View Post
I saw a scrappy carpenter's star here a while ago, and loved it. Can't find that thread again though.

Most of the carpenters wheel/star blocks I have found are made 12 squares wide, 12 squares high. Some are 8 by 8 squares. Is there anything BIGGER out there? Lots bigger???

I have a quilt retreat coming up this weekend. Would it be crazy to do this project there? I want to be able to finish the entire thing.
I'm making a Carpenter's wheel now. the star itself will be 60"square. It's simple HST, so pick the size you want your single block to be and have at it
Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
Here's a huge Carpenter's Wheel... I just enlarged the blocks and added another round to get it up to the size I wanted.
Beautiful colors and beautiful quilting. I like the way you added more blocks around the edge. I might finish mine out that way
Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ms Kay View Post
What size sq. would I use to make a quilt for a full size bed.? Love your pattern.
What I'd do is take the width of the top of the bed and make the block fit the top of the bed. You want the star to show to its best advantage.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by patmadrid View Post
http://hopefulhomemaker.com/wp/scrap...n-quilt-along/
I saw this one and thought it was cute.
The pattern isn't the same as Carpenter's wheel, but close. I like that each block is smaller squares of similar colors set together. Even the white sections are pieced in scrappy fashion.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:01 PM

A double bed is 59" wide, so I would make the center square 45" or so. That's the measurement I used for my parents' double bed. But I made the quilt wide enough for a queen size bed (it almost hangs to the floor on the double bed), so that after my parents are gone, another family member can use the quilt.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:22 AM

Cool carpenter's wheel with borders

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
I've been wanting to enlarge this Carpenter's Wheel for a while now, so your question gave me the perfect excuse to play with EQ.

To continue the pattern to the edges of a quilt this big resulted in an insanely busy look, so I removed a swath of blocks and made a diamond pattern around the outside edge.

The pdf attachment contains an alternate color, a triangle template and yardage charts for this quilt, which is 101" square. You could make it as large as you want by adding borders.

Hope you like it!
your pattern is wonderful thanks