Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Limit of Patience? >

Limit of Patience?

Limit of Patience?

Old 03-05-2022, 12:54 PM

Default Limit of Patience?

This statement will surprise most.. I have accumulated scraps from all of my projects. I sort through them every so often and now is one of those days. I have some odd length and width of strips/square fabric. Part of me says "toss it all", the other says cut strips and squares, the other says sew'em all like a jelly roll race. I actually saved these scraps to use with dryer sheets for a scrappy quilt. I may have just enough scraps to wall paper my sewing/guest room hahaha
Old 03-05-2022, 01:30 PM

I would not toss, unless you have made an actual scrappy quilt and decided you don't care for them. If you do not want to bother then I suggest you offer them to someone on here who would like to have them, or perhaps someone you may know who also makes quilts. To me, a scrappy quilt looks best with lots of very small pieces. I know that takes lots of patience and time, so I would suggest just working on it a little at a time, perhaps in conjunction with another quilt.
Old 03-05-2022, 01:53 PM
Power Poster

I take my scrap bin to a retreat every year. Others go through and get what they want. By next year I have it full again. I have never missed not having piles of scraps. I have the bin for a year and rarely use out of it so I let them go and start over.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:01 AM

I keep a very small bin of scraps to use as leaders, I'm talking about a 4 x 4" rubbermaid food storage container.

The only 'scraps' I keep after making a quilt are scraps that are basically extra pieces I cut for the project, such as a couple of extra squares, or a long piece of binding left over. Only scraps that can be incorporated with that fabric into another quilt, as being already cut. Then I keep those pieces with the left over fabric yardage, so I don't have to go digging for it.

The rest of the 'scraps' I just toss.

Last edited by berrynice; 03-06-2022 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:08 AM

I have a personal challenge going to see how many different scrap/strip quilts I can come up with. I aim for at least twin size and have lost count and the scrap bins remain full to overflowing, thanks to friends who donate their scraps to me.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by goldsberry921 View Post
I have accumulated scraps from all of my projects. I have some odd length and width of strips/square fabric.
I don’t cut them down right away like some of the QB members do but I sort them in bins by size (crumbs, strips and larger scraps) and color. When I run low of 2 1/2” squares for leader/Enders, I cut more.
Old 03-06-2022, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Just this week I bought three great scrap patterns for quilts. I am thinking this is the year I make an honest effort.
Old 03-06-2022, 05:13 AM

I love scraps and always have. I am currently working on finishing some scrappy Log Cabin blocks my late husband started. Pictures shows 16 of them sewn together. I have them in all stages of being finished, and all lengths of strips.
Attached Thumbnails splcc.jpg  
Old 03-06-2022, 05:39 AM

Scraps can get overwhelming fast. I had to come up with some sort of understanding as to what to keep and what to pass on at Guild on the Donation table. I decided to keep all my batik scraps as small as 1 1/2 inch square. If I couldn't get a square out of a triangle piece, it went. If I make a quilt out of a fabric line, and have say a gallon bag left over of scraps, I put on the donation table. After all, I made the quilt I wanted to make with it so, I'm done. Quite freeing not to have odd scraps hanging around.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:08 AM

Update on my scraps... I have been just taking pieces and sewing them together and making some random blocks. Some are about a little bigger than a dryer sheet. I've put them away for now to see what other quilt top I will make. You all have always been so inspirational! Love the input! Happy quilting everyone!