Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: on-line classes

has anyone here ever signed up for online classes? i'm often tempted, but i can't always schedule. are they run on schedules? if you miss one what happens? in other words, how do they work?

Blog Entries
    I've never taken one but would like to know the pro/cons of doing so from others that have.

I have never taken one. They sound like they would be interesting. My schedule at work varies so I can't take one at my fabric store.

I think with Quilt University that the "classroom" is open for so many weeks...
    This should also include a chat area for help or questions.
    They also have a free trial class...

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by KO24
    I think with Quilt University that the "classroom" is open for so many weeks...
    This should also include a chat area for help or questions.
    They also have a free trial class...

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/

Kirsten

Have you taken classes from this site?? If so, which one(s)?

i just signed up for the free one. it's borders and it's only two lessons.
    i want to get an idea of whether or not i like them. all of the other 'classes' on this site list the starting dates and all additional lesson dates. also, how long they will stay online. so it sounds like there will be time to catch up, at one week catch-up for each lesson.

some of the classes look very good. why doesn't someone join me for the freebie?

I've taken LOTS of classes at QU. All have been worth the money and then some. I can take the class in jammies, dont have to drive, dont have to load my machine and supplies into my car and into a class.

There is a forum to talk to classmates and teacher for your class. You upload photos of progress, ask questions, get prompt answers and help.

You will have students from all over the world in your class. You can do it at your convenience throughout the week. The information and forum is usually left up for several weeks after the class is done in case you have gotten behind.

And prices are very reasonable.

Gayle

tell me how to get 'into' a classroom.

i got the email with my password, but what do i do with it?

there must be a page i open. when i find that, there will be instructions for me to follow. but i don't know what to do when i first enter the site. there doesn't seem to be a clearly defined entrance.

since you took classes here, maybe you know what i'm talking about and can help me.

thanks.

bfw

I just signed up for one. I always wanted to try one to see if I liked it.

i took the free one a QU. it's only 2 lessons, but i got an idea of what it's like. not bad. there's a discussion group that you can part in afterward and ask questions that are immediately (i think) answered.

i wasn't that interested in the topic, but i can see that it would be good for a topic i wanted to learn about.

HOWEVER, for the price of a class, you can buy a book with just as precise info. maybe better. i think.

to tell the truth, i think we learn almost as much from one another for free.

go here:

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/index.html

on the right side of the page is a box that says "click here to enter your student password"

click on it, enter password and click again. you should be in then.

hope that helps.

Gayle

thanks gayle, i got in . and took the class already. read above.
    thanks again.

I have never taken one from QU...
    But I might have to looking at the new classes offered..
    I haven't looked at the site in at least 2 years so there is some new stuff for me! :)
    K

if you have any curiosity, definitely try it. it's easy to sign up and free. you receive a password and use it to get in. you choose lesson one and WHOOSH! off you go.

i think that for a more interesting topic there would be a better tute, but i think there are good tutes for free on the web, especially on youtube. this is not videos, and i think videos are very helpful.

nor do i think this will be a step-by-step teaching device. i think it will be more of a seminar. that is, a lecture that you follow along with as things are explained and described.

if you need to learn about something, type it into your search window, add video/tute and you'll get excellent learning material at no cost.

i wanted to find out and i did. i am not that impressed. IMHO

IMHO

I have taken the online classes through the Quilt University a few times, and found them really good.

I have never taken a class.
    With all the videos available on the web by the best teachers in the business why take classes?
    Quilterstv is free and lots of lessons.
    Qnntv costs $24 a year but has so many videos and also has full screen.

for a few very good tutorial videos, go to

http://quiltinggallery.com

look on the right side. look for free quilting projects at the top of the categories column.

scroll and you will find wonderful free things, among them excellent tutorials.
    i bookmark, label and archive. when i need to brush up on a technique, WHAMMO! there it is at my fingertips. no fee.

i like that there is a 'person' out there talking to me. i feel like there really is a teacher. i find it a more personal touch. IMHO

I tend to argee with you butterflywing. I have taken classes online and at a quilt shop. There is no comparing the two. I also think a video or book is much more helpful than an on line class. But, I suppose it would depend on the teacher too. You know yourself, some people are better than others at teaching.

I also firmly believe that certain patterns that you use force you to learn something new and help you to grow. One of those quilt shop classes for me was, "The lessons at the Lake", by sandi. It was a sampler quilt with many different techniques covered. So fun! I am not sure if you can get the pattern anymore. This was a couple years ago. A Block of the month.

I bought a book called, "Lessons from Moma" by Atkinson Designs that I am going to try and see how that one streches my skills. I have two in line before working with it, but, it looks very interesting. It is also a sampler.

Well good luck with your classes. Let us know how it all turns out for you.

i made the decision not to take the classes. i watch the videos when i have time and i find info in my books. like you, redgarnet, i learn something with every quilt i make. i really believe that's the only way to learn. i just learned that i'm not ready ready for sister's choice without sashing. yup! no teacher could have told me that.

i'll back up a step or two and choose something a little easier for the next one.

i once took a stack'n'whack class and really enjoyed the teacher and the company of the other women. i don't think an online "class" in 4 parts would do that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I have never taken a class.
    With all the videos available on the web by the best teachers in the business why take classes?
    Quilterstv is free and lots of lessons.
    Qnntv costs $24 a year but has so many videos and also has full screen.
    RoseMarie....thank you for that info. I was not aware of QNNTV. I went to it last night, after reading your post, and joined today. I am really enjoying it! Learning a lot!

Thank you :) Margie

margie - i never heard of qnntv, either.

let us know what you think of the lessons. what i saw on the demonstrator video indicated that you needed to buy their kit in order to take advantage of the instructions that they give. i don't know if this will be true for everything there, so tell us what you learn and how you like it.

Well, I have been watching Nancy Notions films. Nothing to buy unless you want. Learned about some interesting crazy quilting techniques, bobbin work, yarn work. Watched one of hers about very interesting "scrap quilt" she called treasure quilt (I think) using scraps of fabric and using more odd shaped small pieces to insert little three dimensional details. Watched a few of Mary Michelle, some on general quilting tips. There seems to be a wealth of information, for someone like me anyway who is not experienced. I am excited about it. Just a couple quilting magazines or a book could add up to more than $24.00 for a year. They have free patterns and things too. I am planning on downloading a really cute wall hanging, three pieces of fruit (apple, pear and peach with the names of each in English and French).

Will update you when I learn more, just joined this afternoon lol.

Margie :)

so far it sounds grand. are there tips for bed-sized quilts? anything about loading a frame or freehand work, like that?

keep on watching and report back. i feel like you're a spy or something.

Examples and I have not done these yet...I am just browsing
    : These are for BEGINNING quilters...there are many other catagories.
    Learn to Quilt: Quilting with Cheryl Barnes
    Cheryl Barnes joins Mimi Shimp to show viewers how to choose a quilting design, mark the top, choose quilting threads, tips on free motion quilting, and how to prepare it to be sent out the long arm quilter or quilt it yourself. For more information, visit Cheryl’s site www.goldenthreads.com.

Quilters Tea: Ami Simms: The Quilting Stitch and Other Hand Work
    Amish-taught quilter Ami Simms joins Jodie to teach her the ins and outs of perfect hand quilting including tips for batting, tools, and the work environment.

Quilters Tea: Ami Simms - Invisible Applique Ami's Way!
    Ami Simms, author of "Invisible Applique", shows Jodie her slick method to a perfect hand applqiue stitch. Ami uses her stitch for everything from traditional blocks to pictorial to stained glass and even hand piecing!
    www.AmiSimms.com

Quilt in a Day: #1512 Triple Irish Chain, Parts 1 and 2
    A traditional beauty! Wendy Gilbert joins Eleanor with an exciting new variation on the Irish Chain. Follow along to make your own quilt in this two-part series.
    For further information about this show, visit www.quiltinaday.com

Do You EQ? Design Wizard Overview
    Created for the beginning quilter, Design Wizard by the Electric Quilt Company not only helps you create quilt designs easily and quickly, with no previous experience, but also teaches you how to make the quilt. Embedded in the software are videos and tools to help you achieve wonderful results the first time out! For more information, visit www.electricquilt.com

Quilters Coffee: Little Memories Quilt
    Mary Ellen Von Holt and Alice Berg from Little Quilts show Jodie how to make an easy beginner project from the book "Little Memories."
    www.littlequilts.com

Quilters Tea: The ABC's of Thread and Needles for Sewing, Quilting or Embroidery
    Marje Myers from That Thread Shop clears up the mystery of which thread weight and needles to use for sewing, quilting or embroidering. Visit Marje’s web site, www.thatthreadshop.com.

Kaye’s Quilting Friends: Log Cabin Quilts
    Kaye Wood, along with Amber and Joyce Drexler, demonstrate how to make a Log Cabin block. This is a great show for beginner quilters. The log cabin is the claasic beginner’s quilt.
    For more information about this show, visit www.kayewood.com

Quilters Coffee: Four on the Floor Quilt
    Thea Jirak creates a quick pattern for quilts. Thea shows how easy and quickly you can make a Four on the Floor quilt from fabric from your stash and how to make borders without seams. The pattern that has everyone buzzing!

Quilters Coffee: Anne Moscicki's Table Runner
    Anne Moscicki, author, retreat teacher and designer, discusses her book on planning a quilting retreat including the construction of small projects and table runners which are easy to make quickly.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month One
    Thea Jirak starts the quilt by making the center star blocks of the pattern Glory Be! Suitable for a beginning quilter who has made a simple quilt or two, or a beginner who relishes a challenge, Thea’s expert instruction for the blocks will turn you into a quilter in not time! For the remaining monthly video instructions, look for the Block of the Month under “QNNtv Original Programming” category by clicking on the “Browse” tab above. To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Two
    Thea shows how to make a half square triangle. As a bonus, watch her make gift wrap disguised as a pillowcase! To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Three
    Thea strips a 4 patch for the chain block in Glory Be! To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Four
    Glory Be! There's a Hopping Monkey Wrench in our BOM quilt. To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Five
    Thea puts a twist in block 5 of the Block of the Month by combining two of your favorite quilt blocks. To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Six
    Glory Be! We're in Ohio. Actually it's the Ohio Star that makes block 6 of our Block of the Month. To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Seven
    Learn how to use Eleanor Burns Small Flying Geese ruler to make a beautiful sawtooth boarder on our Block of the Month quilt. To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Eight
    Thea gives helpful hints and great techniques for putting your blocks together. To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Nine
    Learn how to make your boarders square up your Block of the Month quilt.

Glory Be! Block of the Month: Month Ten
    Glory Be! Binding your quilt is easy with Thea's Binding Gizmo. Congratulations! The quilt is done!! To obtain the pattern and kit for the quilt, visit Thea’s store at www.quiltingdelights.com

Margie

i know that on the Glory Be ! quilt instructions you do have to buy the kit. the demonstration video makes that very clear and when i boogied around i linked up to the kits section and they don't sell the pattern without the fabric.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast