Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
linen tablecloths >

linen tablecloths

linen tablecloths

Old 11-30-2014, 02:53 AM

I use my mother's linen tablecloths as backs for my table runners or special wall hangings. No one wants to use them anymore, so this way I'm preserving them in a way. They hold up nicely and I haven't had any problem washing the runners.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:54 AM

I don't have any old stuff, period. However, I love linen and have recently finished a quilt top and back using lots of it. Linen is very durable, so I actually think it should hold up very well in quilts. I love the texture and used it along with quilting cotton in piecing. I've never done any whole cloth projects, as I'm just not ready for any project that actually features the quilting part.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:44 AM

My sister-in-law had pillows made from her mom's linen tablecloths and gifted them to her brother and sister. A wonderful remembrance of their mom and does not require machine washing
Old 11-30-2014, 07:07 AM

Keep those ideas coming. Excellent suggestions so far and I really appreciate all the input here!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltMom2 View Post
I'm watching this thread because I cannot believe the number of linen tablecloths that I have accumulated!! I can't remember my folks doing that much entertaining either.
They may not have done a lot of entertaining, but you really had to be prepared at all times. In the day, paper was not acceptable. LOL!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:03 AM

I have two enormous damask ones I inherited and often think about using them for backs, it is such beautiful. But I can't justify the cost of longarm quilting (can't hand quilt anymore) unless I use two tops per quilt, double sided in other words.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:09 AM

OMG Woody, watched the slide show & those quilts are totally Awesome!! Anything you can repurpose,reuse in any way works for me and if there's a will there's a way!
Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 AM
pal

My Mom came from Sweden and always had a Swedish tablecloth on the table. Each one is beautiful, depicting people dancing in their native costumes. Some day I will make a quilt out of them, it's just not time yet.

Thank you for this discussion. Maybe this will be my "push".
Old 11-30-2014, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I have a bag full of linen napkins. My sister loves linen table runners and center cloths for her table. She changes out often. She dresses her house like a million bucks and everything is pre-owned. She works at Goodwill and dresses the different department. All the dining room tables are dressed with the artificial flower arrangements and baskets. One woman stopped in and bought a bedroom set and dining set and with all the trimmings. She was helping her recently divorced son set up housekeeping. That day the woman spent $1000.00. One of the pieces was an armoire. She often asks my sister for help in pre-owned decorating. Working at Goodwill is a dirty job but she loves it.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
I took a Craftsy class, taught by Cindy Needham, who was an excellaent teacher.
I did a little research and saw that quilting with old linens is her main interest. I saw she even has another Craftsy class about just this thing!
If you go to her website she has a lot of info on quilting with old linens http://www.cindyneedham.com/
I had a short private email conversation with her in which she mentioned that she does not own a longarm, does all her work on her domestic (of course, that was 8-9 months ago, that could have changed)
At the time she had you tube videos too

I have a bunch of embroidered pillowcases from my husband's grandma that I hope to use to make something for our bed
Thank you for this link. I had the privilege of meeting Cindy when she spoke at our guild meeting a few years ago. She is excellent and a wonderful encouragement to those without a longarm.