Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lining up seams in quilt-help needed! >

Lining up seams in quilt-help needed!

Lining up seams in quilt-help needed!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

Did you square up your log cabin blocks to the same (or close to the same) size? If they are off, then you can't really plan the sashing strip.

You can still do it by measuring each square and cutting the sashing strip to match. It is a pain in the butt do do that though.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 PM

You chose an unforgiving pattern there! You have some excellent advice above. You can learn a lot from this experience. That's life!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:31 PM

I encountered a similar problem with my first log cabin quilt. My seams were just enough off to make the sashing too long. I cut the sashing to fit the blocks rather than try to redo everything, which is what it would have required on mine. The finished size of the quilt did not come out the same as the pattern, but it looked OK so I'm not complaining.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM

I did as someone suggested of doing the 2" strips and my strip came out to be 4 3/4 in wide instead of 5" It also seemed like I got one measurement on my rotary mat, and another on the clear plastic ruler I have.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:10 PM

I am willing to bet that most of us have blocks that don't always match up, this is when we use the well known art of "easing"! If you have a section that is longer, always put the long side on the bottom. The feed dogs take in the bottom fabric slightly more than the top. I have been shocked how much of a difference that can make. It won't help if you are off an inch, but for lesser amounts, it works.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ammorgan
I did as someone suggested of doing the 2" strips and my strip came out to be 4 3/4 in wide instead of 5" It also seemed like I got one measurement on my rotary mat, and another on the clear plastic ruler I have.
I use the measurements on my ruler and not the mat. I am sure everyone has their own preference, this is just mine
Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
I am willing to bet that most of us have blocks that don't always match up, this is when we use the well known art of "easing"! If you have a section that is longer, always put the long side on the bottom. The feed dogs take in the bottom fabric slightly more than the top. I have been shocked how much of a difference that can make. It won't help if you are off an inch, but for lesser amounts, it works.
Actually, easing may be what is causing the problem--do you pin ?
strips can ease so easily--and an amazing amount sometimes. I know Pin is a dirty word---but it works & even though I have been piecing for a long time, when they really need to match--I pin.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:03 PM

Yep I pin :) I'll definitely have to take some time to figure out how to get the sashing just right.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 PM

One of the prettiest quilts ever !!! I'm new so I haven't a clue that there is anything wrong with this gorgeous quilt. The first ever I tried to make I did not know about squaring up the squares so nothing matched anywhere !!! ugh ! Now I can laugh about it , at least it was just a wall hanging ! whew ! I might have quit .....not..... I am loving this site and loving all the caring that goes on here, thanks everyone.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 PM

I think I've found my problem. I designed this in EQ5 and when I do a template for the sashing strip it tells me its 10x1 in. So I added in the 0.5 in seam allowance that I would need for each strip, therefore I cut my strips at 10.5x1.5

But when the blocks are sewn into rows, the "middle" blocks on the row only measure 9.5 inches wide, not 10 inches. So I'm guessing maybe I should have cut the strips at 10 inches? But then what do I do about the "end" squares on the row where the strips wouldn't end up wide enough to cover the whole square?