Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lint in upper thread area >

Lint in upper thread area

Lint in upper thread area

Old 04-18-2015, 09:25 AM

Default Lint in upper thread area

I was having lots of tension trouble FMQ this winter with my BL crescendo then the bobbin started making an unusual noise. The machine upper sensor started even to not recognise thinner thread. Into the dealer it went. Picked it up today. The upper threading area was tightly packed with lint and the bobbin had a nick in it. The cutter also had to be replaced. The technician said maybe the bobbin had not been seated right at one time. I use a lot of connecting thread and star thread for quilting because I like the looks of it but do need to clean under the throat plate every bobbin or 2 change. There is no way to clean the upper thread area out at home. The machine was cleaned and serviced last August. I am going to switch to Isocord and Aurifil. I still can use the other thread with my BL quilters pro that I've not had a problem with it.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried a pipe cleaner?? Amazing what you can get clean out of any sewing machine or a vacuum. Thanks to whom ever posted this suggestion and my best friend (moved to Phx) who passed it onto all her quilting buddies thank you too !!
Old 04-18-2015, 12:51 PM

I am using Aurifil cotton 50 wt and am having to clean out all the bobbin areas of lint. I firmly believe that cotton thread, no matter who makes it, can be linty. And that reminds me that I need to get DH to take off the cap end of my Brother InnovisD (there's a little screw on the back that holds it all in place) and check that upper tension and take up lever area. I'd rather check it before I have problems than after and it's been at least half a large cone of thread ago. His work is free and the technician will cost me at least $125.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Have you tried a pipe cleaner?? Amazing what you can get clean out of any sewing machine or a vacuum. Thanks to whom ever posted this suggestion and my best friend (moved to Phx) who passed it onto all her quilting buddies thank you too !!
I use a pipe cleaner under the throat plate. I may try it in the upper thread area. I can't see in there.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:54 PM

I have 'flossed' with a dollar bill. Very strong and will grab the tiniest pieces of thread in the tension disks
Old 04-18-2015, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Toni C View Post
I have 'flossed' with a dollar bill. Very strong and will grab the tiniest pieces of thread in the tension disks
Uwaxed dental floss works real well too.

Cari