Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Liquid starch >

Liquid starch

Liquid starch

Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 AM

walmart, bottom shelf and my grocery store, bottom shelf
Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by sewtruterry
Because around here since I am short ( just under 5 feet tall) the starch is always on the top shelf.
In my area, the smaller, ready-to-go spray bottles are on the top shelf, but the large gallon jug is on the bottom shelf.

Originally Posted by weezie
I thought the bugs eating starched fabric was a problem only if the starch was home-made. If you know whether the bug problem applies to ALL starched fabric, please tell me and I will re-wash all those again.
All of the people/places/websites/professional quilters I've ever read/watched on tv/took classes from/etc have said not to store starched fabric. They didn't specify home-made, and almost all of them were using a commercial product, so the insinuation was regarding ALL starches. If you're going to use the fabrics within a month or two, and will be washing your finished project, I'd say you're okay. But if you're going to use it in a wall hanging that you're not planning on washing, you might want to wash the fabrics again and use sizing, instead.

Originally Posted by MaryAnna
Vodka is also a great antiseptic and insect deterrent....they don't like Vodka.
This sort of makes sense when the vodka is wet, but does it hold true for after the alcohol and water has evaporated?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:00 AM

jo anns, handcock fabrics, hobby lobby and walmart sell it here
Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by weezie
Please clarify something for me, please.

I recently washed, starched (with Sta-Flo), & ironed a LOT of fabric, only to discover that I did not like the combination of colors together, so I put most of it back in my stash. I thought the bugs eating starched fabric was a problem only if the starch was home-made. If you know whether the bug problem applies to ALL starched fabric, please tell me and I will re-wash all those again. I'm reluctant to do that because there is a lot of fabric there, but I am even more reluctant to have bugs eat it.
I googled average humidity levels for your area. I would not store fabric that has been starched where you live.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 AM

If you haven't been given the link already, do a search on this board for the starch recipe. There have threads about this just last month.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Cannot be found in Canada!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
Cannot be found in Canada!
In Canada your only option seems to be to mix up your own starch using a powdered starch.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Diane Gaudynski's (master machine quilter) information for making starch:

"Try my recipe for spray starch for all your pressing/piecing needs. Remember, you can adjust any of these amounts to suit your own needs, and also don't keep this for more than two weeks max. I make up a batch when I need it, then dump it out when I'm finished. It produces a super flat stable quilt: Dissolve half a teaspoon (or one teaspoon for a stiffer starch) of regular Argo cornstarch (in your cupboard probably) in a few tablespoons of cold water in a heat proof 2-cup measuring pitcher like Pyrex. Add boiling water to make one cup, stirring constantly. Then add cold water to the 2 cup line. Let cool and use in a pump spray bottle. Shake it every time you spray. You may have to dilute it a little if it is too thick or builds up white flakes. Lasts a week or so as there are no preservatives, no chemicals, no nothing that harms us or the environment, and it’s practically free, except for the spray bottle! Don't starch fabrics for storage as it will attract critters such as centipedes, and mice."
Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by dglvr
Also how do you put liquid spray on what your ironing just use your fingers or paint brush?
You can dilute the liquid starch and put it in your own spray bottle. Purchased spray starches are limited in their strength. With Sta-Flo you can mix it 1:1 with water to make a heavy starch (which I paint onto yardage with a large wall painting brush), or dilute it to make a spray starch.
Thanks for the info. Lots of good info here. :thumbup:
Old 10-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanks, Sadiemae & Peckish. They are all together, so at least I won't have to search for them before I can re-wash.