Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Locker Hooking????? >

Locker Hooking?????

Locker Hooking?????

Old 09-24-2010, 05:02 AM

I purchased the special hook , and made one rug. It got a bit boring .. .too much time too little results. I was looking for a project that was a TV project ie one I could do in front of the television. My thinking was a bit off - since I do have a TV in my sewing room! I think I would rather hand piece, much more portable that the rug thing, but it does use up some fabric that were ...... a "what was I thinking" purchase.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

It is fun to do, but can be slow for some. The rugs can be various shapes and sizes. There are some good books out on this technique. One I have is called, "The Happy Rug Hooker".
You can use up ugly fabrics, or coordinate. It does use quite a bit of fabric. When finished, paint the rubber backing stuff on it so it won't slide all over everywhere! :)
Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 AM

I have done it - made hot pads and such - nothing big yet, but will one day - I am collecting any and all of my one inch strips that I think I will NEVER use in scrappy quilts (I keep 2 inch or more for those ;) ). It does take alot of fabric and it is tedious but on a road trip or relaxing by a campfire or just gooing in front of the TV - it's mindless and can be done easily - in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Here's a good tutorial I found online. I think it's what you're talking about! :)

http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/01/...the-loops.html

Never tried this myself, but it looks pretty fun.

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

i will have to snap a couple pics tomorrow, my locker hooked rugs are always commented on when people come through the door. it is a great way to use up those strips too narrow for really sewing. i have made them with flannel but it is heavier so i think i used 1/2" strips. i don't really stress over the actual width for the cottons narrower than 2". for me they go together pretty fast, eat up the scraps in my basket, are a fun activity while watching a game or movie with hubby. i have one pretty long one at our front door and another in front of the kitchen sink. just finished a small one for my daughter for christmas...gave away others. but i will take pics saturday
Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

is that latch hook rugs?? that's all i know
Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
Here's a good tutorial I found online. I think it's what you're talking about! :)

http://www.craftpassion.com/2010/01/...the-loops.html

Never tried this myself, but it looks pretty fun.

Cheers!
Rachel
This video was very similar to what I saw at the Quilt shop, except the hook and needle were all in one.I now have to start saving fabrics again since I got rid of all my scraps when we moved a few months ago.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:26 PM

seems like a great way to recycle unwanted or less than desirable fabric. Want not? Waste not.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM

I've been doing this. It's very easy, but the others are correct...it rubs your hand, takes a long, long time, and uses a tremendous amount of scraps. I'm selling some at a craft show and I think I'll charge $30 apiece. I do them when I watch tv. But...they are not a quick project at all. They're quite soft and attractive...you need a rug mat under them to keep them from sliding.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I cut the mesh and made a tote out of it and then hooked it. My DD snatched it right up. I need to make some more but I have so many other projects I want to make it's hard to make two of the same thing. LOL. The Simplicity rotary strip cutter is perfect to cut the strips to use. They don't have to be accurate.