Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Locking Stitch Help! >

Locking Stitch Help!

Locking Stitch Help!

Old 08-06-2018, 04:48 PM

Default Locking Stitch Help!

I am machine quilting a rail fence quilt in a diagonal fashion. However, I want each square to be quilted a different color to correspond with the quilt. How do I lock my stitches so that it works out? The quilt in question is attached below. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails 178315de-8f7d-4b04-af3e-4d0813c94b7a.jpeg  
Old 08-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Welcome to this board.

I can't answer your question. There is no way I would quilt like that. Someone may be along later that can help you.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:59 PM

lovely quilt! Are you using a FMQ foot or walking foot or Long arm? With FMQ or Long arm you can just take 3-4 tiny stitches to lock the stitching. If using a walking foot, remember you can not reverse. One option is to maybe lead longer tail, do a hand-tied knot and then bury the knots.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. If you are going to quilt on the diagonal with matching thread, you will have to lock the beginning and ending of each colours by stitching in place several times. OR at the beginning and end of each colour, you bring up the bobbin thread to the top, tie the thread ends together and use an easy thread needle to bury the thread ends in the quilt. Pretty top!
Old 08-06-2018, 09:07 PM

Pretty quilt top! Love the color/arrangement.

Am I understanding correctly that you want it quilt each square individually? If so, I wouldn’t recommend it. That’s a ton of extra knots (and time) spent. I’ve had a few quilts that were bright/bold colors like that and I was just so stressed about picking the “right” thread color. I’m always worried thread will ruin a quilt like that, but I’ve been pleased with how all of them have turned out, usually using a light gray thread for all the quilting. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Have you thought about using invisible thread? Superior makes a good one. I think that would be the way to go rather than locking a zillion starts & stops, not to mention thread changes. Also, if your machine doesn't do a perfectly balanced stitch, you will need to use matching thread in the bobbin. So you would need to wind a bunch of different bobbins.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board!
I have to agree with the poster who said you will end up with a lot of knots if you do each one separately.
Love your quilt!
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 AM

You could start in the center and quilt the yellow blocks. Then move on the next color and quilt all the green squares in that section. Move on to the next color.

You could probably quilt the 4 corners in a diagonal method using coordinating thread.

Change thread colors with each color set of blocks (yellow, green, blue, etc.) and not the individual blocks.

Think about how you are going to move from square to square. Plan it out first and even draw on paper if you like.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 AM

Depending on what you are using for backing, I'd be more inclined to leave long tails, knot them and bury them. I've started doing that more as the backstitching sometimes becomes very noticeable on the back side. Often it's hidden in a seam or the color blends well on the front, but this does not happen on the back.

I do mine on a LA. I pull and knot as I am going, so I don't have a lot of loose strings getting in my way, and a boat load of threads to knot and bury after the quilt is off the frame. I keep a needle with a larger eye stuck to the LA so I can easily do that. It does get a bit tedious when you have an 18" block with a lot of small sections that don't interconnect and you are switching between three thread colors - I only did one color at a time, but I had 5-10 sections of each color with knots at the start and end of each. The plus side, it looks as nice on the back as it does on the front. this quilt is now displayed at my LQS, so I knew I wanted to be very particular.

If I am making a quilt were I'm not near as concerned about how it looks on the back, or if the backing will easily hide the stitching, I'll backstitch and trim threads instead of going to the work of knotting and burying.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:24 AM

Just wanted to say Welcome to the board and your quilt is beautiful. Good luck with whatever method you decide to go with.