Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log Cabin Block??? >

log Cabin Block???

log Cabin Block???

Old 07-17-2015, 12:47 PM

Default log Cabin Block???

well here is the log cabin block that I asked about in another post asking if the light color would look good all the same fabric.. I got a lot of answers and thank everyone for there advice...

I am making a horse quilt like the one that suenichols made, her was so pretty that I asked her if she would mind if I kind of copied hers. She helped me so much with the size of the blocks and what size the panel should be, and even told me that she used the log cabin trim tool by creative grids... I never seem to get my log cabin blocks the same but with this tool they come out perfect.

My question today is what do you think is the better color for the center block, the red or the dark brown, also do you think that the color of beige I am using will be bright enough for the dark colors to pop when you look at the quilt.. I have shown the panel I am using so you can see the colors in it, what are your thoughts on the dark colors I have chosen, do you think they go good with the panel...

Thanks all for your help on this...
Attached Thumbnails img_0487.jpg   img_0489.jpg  
Old 07-17-2015, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

My opinions -
I like the dark colors you have chosen.
I like the tan for the light color.

For the center square - I think I would like a color that is between the bright rust and the dark brown you have chosen. Basically a browner rust. But of the two that you have shown, I thinkI like the dark brown better. I don't see any of that bright shade of rust in the center panel - and those bright squares would be the first thing I would see when looking at the quilt - and then I would wonder why that shade was chosen.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:14 PM

I like the "redish" one. On my screen it appears to be a terracotta red which gives the block "pop" and blends in beautifully with all the other lovely colours that you have chosen without screaming "look at me" .

Looking forward to seeing the end result of the quilt.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:25 PM

I like the dark brown myself....it looks like (from the photo) it picks up the color of the horses...and that appeals to me.
It's going to be really pretty no matter what center square color you use.....and i have used that outer green fabric - which i love.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Banned

I think I would choose a med/dark green for the center square, I like everything else.

Cari
Old 07-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Tough decision! I like the brown center, but does seem a little too dark, maybe? Does the rust match that thin outer line on the panel? The line on the panel looks more like a burgundy than a rust, maybe just my screen? I think if the center square matches that line on the panel, it would look good. Good Luck!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:00 PM

The colors in this are lovely. So soothing, calm and serene.

While red is the traditional color for a LC block, signifying the heart of the home, in this my preference is for the brown. It can signify the love of the brown horses.

I have a hard time with solids, but that tan looks to be a perfect match for your fabrics; I'm looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:10 PM

I love the dark brown center.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

I like the brown square. Other colors are perfect with the panel you have. Maybe a little lighter brown?? Good luck.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:18 PM

oh wow oh wow!!!! I am getting so excited about starting this quilt, I have had the panel for some time now, so it is time to be in a quilt...

I too like both colors for the center square but i think I like the brown better even tho the burgundy color does match the tiny little boarder but that is all that color in the panel, so not very much..., I am going to look in my stash and see if there is a green color and see how that would look, but i think it is the brown so far... what worries me a little that the beige color is a little to dark for the light color in this block.. It may make the quilt look kind of rich looking, so maybe it will be ok..

right now the fabric is laying on the bed and I keep going by and looking at it to see if I think it looks ok... I not real good at putting colors together and sometimes my quilts just don't look as good as I thought they would look in my mind after they are all done... Thankds again..