Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin by E. Burns >

Log Cabin by E. Burns

Log Cabin by E. Burns

Old 06-11-2017, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I did some more drawings - and changed the numbering system.

Assumptions:
All strips are the same width -
A square is the desired result
The logs will be placed around one square for the center - which is cut the same "width" as the rest of the logs.

What I learned and/or observed: (from this exercise, anyway)

PIeces 1&2 are the same size, pieces 3&4 are the same length, pieces 5&6 are the same length, pieces 7&8, and the last piece will be longer.

But - piecES 2&3 will be "the same" and 4&5 will be the "the same" , etc.

However, it is easier for me to think of the center square as "ground zero "- or "0" because then I can think of the darks and lights in pairs - 1&2 are dark, 3&4 are light - or 1&2 are light, 3&4 are dark, etc -

Graph paper is still my friend. So are pencils and erasers! When I was trying to draw the assembly "going the other way" - I had to use my friendly eraser quite a bit.

I think the log cabin block is a great block - but there are a lot of places for error and cumulative error when assembling the blocks.
Attached Thumbnails logs1.jpg  
Old 06-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Another thing I "noticed" - which I am sure is not news to anyone that has made this block a lot -

That whichever two strips(color) are first put around the center square - those will end up being "the short ones" on the outside row.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Each strip is 2 1/2 inches but the square become a 12 by 10 inch block. I did start the center with the darkest and lightest pieces...and going out from that, the darkest gets lighter and the lightest gets darker to show greater contrast/ Can I add a strip on one side...outside...alternating a dark or light as shown or have I made a mistake somewhere that myone eye cannot see. Suggestions are welcome.[ATTACH=CONFIG]574363[/ATTACH] Thank you in advance for your help.
What I did with her pattern was to copy the page with the layout from the book, then put my scraps of fabrics on each one. Then lay out my strips in the order to be sewn. That kept me on track because I always had the little sample to refer to.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:56 PM

Corrections made and I am going around and around the center, so it is all working out. Again thanks to everyone, QuiltnNan nailed the problem, I am off and running with the log cabin. Picture talken today of the progress.[ATTACH=CONFIG]574529[/ATTACH] It will be an extra long twin size and Mary loves it. The vivid colors match her lively personality. She prefers all blue tones. We love to have her visit with us....and hope we can see more of her and Robert. Cousons are special people.
Attached Thumbnails dscn0821.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 03:32 PM

Glad you got it figured out. This board is so helpful.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

Is this result intentional?
Attached Thumbnails logs2.jpg