Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin Fabric Planning >

Log Cabin Fabric Planning

Log Cabin Fabric Planning

Old 10-01-2017, 09:54 AM

Default Log Cabin Fabric Planning

I am about to embark on making my first log cabin quilt for my younger sister's 50th birthday. She happens to live in a Kentucky log cabin (her dream home) that's just as comfy as can be.

The colors of her main living space are mixed browns, creams, bold red accents, some black. She loves horses (and has two) plus dogs and cats. I want to make an everyday, hard-use quilt, not a wall hanging .

Here are the givens:

1) Deadline: Thanksgiving (when she'll be here, and when her b'day is)
2) Type: log cabin
3) Size: Approx. 80x92 (her wingspan + 12", and height +24") for covering up on her couch
4) Colors: Browns, creams, red, black
5) I'll be using the Creative Grids Log Cabin Trim Tool so that I don't have to cut anything exactly, beforehand, except the center square. It's the 6 and 12" ruler: I'm pretty sure I'll make the 12" blocks but am open for discussion on that.

My question: What's your suggestion for how to organize the fabrics? I know that lights and darks must be separated. Beyond that? My centers will all be the same red, but I have a wide variety of browns, and a small variety of creams thus far.

Most LC quilts I've noticed lend themselves to square quilts, but I've seen rectangular, which I find most practical for covering up oneself. Any particular arrangement of blocks work better for a rectangular LC quilt?

I've put this off after cutting many strips a long time ago. Mostly it's because I'm not thrilled with earth tones except in the fall, but here we are--it's fall and her big 5-Oh is coming up. I really want to do this for her. Besides, it'll be her first birthday since we lost our mom, and I know that my first one (this past August) was really hard. She's gonna need extra comfort, so isn't a quilt just the thing when a real hug isn't available?

Last edited by zozee; 10-01-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-01-2017, 10:48 AM

I always liked this one: http://www.fonsandporter.com/article...-quilt-project
It was in their magazine, the month and year listed. Maybe a friend has the magazine if you don't. It is a little different than most log cabins and it isn't just fall colors. The blue kind of breaks it up. Maybe you could find a purple or teal to jazz up the fall colors? (Not sure if you are doing batiks, but they have some beautiful colors that blend with the browns.) If you go to the free patterns section (top left) then down to log cabin quilts, there are quite a few layouts. Some are square, but you could add another row or two to enlarge.
Also, Judy Martin has a couple log cabin books that have some really nice layouts, as well as pinterest.
As far as arranging the colors, I would make piles according to value, and use darker on outside of block, lighter inside. You can take a b/w picture on phone of the fabrics and you will be able to see which strips have darker values vs lighter values.
Don't forget to take a picture of it for us before you give it to her. We want to see!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 AM

Oh my, I have no ideas for you, have never made a LC, but I just want to say what a wonderful sister you are to do this. (((Hugs ))) to you!!!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

zo...check this out

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...t-designs.html
Old 10-01-2017, 02:46 PM

The one thing that I have never heard anyone say about log cabins is that the first two fabrics you start with will determine whether the outer edges will touch or stay separate. So look carefully at a pattern to see which look you want to end up with. On my mini's I start with the lights and end up with the longest being darks so the pattern touches. If you start with a light and a dark, then one edge can touch and if you start with two darks the lights will be at the edges and they won't touch. I know it sounds nutty but, it really made a difference in the minis. Any half square pattern can be a log cabin pattern. Since visually the light and dark contrast makes a half square block. It opens up all sorts of pattern ideas.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:26 PM

yngldy--Yes, I have seen (and think I still have the magazine because I liked the pattern for) Libby's Log Cabin by Mariann Fons. The stars in it appeal to me, as well as that sky blue. My sister's main living area only has the colors I mentioned, but she painted a bathroom in blues, and another in greens, so I know she likes both. I've toyed with tossing in one of those colors.

Maggie Ann, I remind my sister often how great a sister I am. LOL. No, actually, she tells me I am, without fishing .

Glad--I appreciate the helpful link. It gave me food for thought.

toverly-- Good point. The videos I've watched DO stress the importance of alternating inner and outer lights and darks so that the last round of each block will not touch a matching round when the rows are sewn together. It's one of those things I MUST remember. I'm afraid of zoning out once I get my rhythm, and failing to remember the few--but necessary--instructions for making the blocks work in the pattern.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:19 PM

Oops, I meant Maggie Sue! I have a friend named Maggie Ann, and that slipped out. Sorry.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:28 PM

How about this one? http://www.mccallsquilting.com/quick..._Quilt_Pattern. It's Spice Market. I used it to make a jacket/coat which came out great. It's easy and uses the colors you were talking about.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
How about this one? http://www.mccallsquilting.com/quick..._Quilt_Pattern. It's Spice Market. I used it to make a jacket/coat which came out great. It's easy and uses the colors you were talking about.
I like that, but I think I want to find a pattern that incorporates stars into the log cabin quilt overall.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 PM

The one with the stars is stellar! (lol) I do think adding a touch of blue would make it really pop!