Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Log Cabin Problems Continue

Blog Entries

Log Cabin Problems Continue

Still on my first log cabin. One log is 8" x 2 1/2" and when block is sewed together that log is rippled. Any ideas what happened? That log is the widest and the center of the block. It's a 9 1/2" x 17 1/2" block.
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

I'm sorry your having problems, can you post a picture, that might help us help you better.
    Lisa

As tallchick said, a picture would help. I just finished my first log cabin and all of the strips were the same width. The lengths were different, of course. I used the Patriotic Log Cabin from the QOV website. It seemed to go together pretty well, even though I feel like I sometimes struggle with accuracy.

Did you cut your strips along the lengthwise grain or crosswise grain?
    Cutting along the crosswise grain would cause it to stretch.
    I would also recommend starching your fabric and use a very thin line
    of washable school glue (instead of pins) and press with your iron to
    dry the glue before sewing. No stretching when you sew that way.

When I make log cabins, I cut the strips to the needed length, from 1.5" to 12.5". I find this controls the cabins better than using a long strip of fabric and just cutting it off at the end of the stitching.

I can't help. I always cut out segments for quilts on the WOF. Gentle handling when sewing will not stretch fabrics. I also never starch anything.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

If you cut lengthwise instead of WOF there is a stretch in the fabric, it is better to cut strips first, rather than using a long strip of fabric and stitching and cutting as you go, as again you can get a slight stretch on each strip and this will distort as you add more strips.

What is that 8 x 2 " piece attached to? If it is attached to a unit, did you measure that unit before stitching them together to make sure it measured the 8" ?

I made a Judy Martin Log Cabin quilt and I found that it is a must to accurately cut the logs and accurately sew the seams. I used a magnetic seam guide that i bought at joann's to keep my seams perfectly straight. It's too easy to veer off the bottom, throwing off the finished product.

I also pinned the bottom of the log if it was a longer piece - even 5 or 6 inches to keep the pieces even. Also double check you bottom piece when sewing to make sure that you edges are lined up even.

With log cabin pieces being narrow to start w/, sewing just a bit off really shows up.
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

I made a dress once and the last seam rippled. I ripped and re-sewed that seam so many times, no success. Did all the things like checking the threading of the machine, tension and replaced the needle. Never finished the dress. A few years ago, attending a quilting seminar I learned I should have used the even feed/walking foot. No rippling.

Blog Entries
    Being your first log cabin, I think it is probably your seam width is off a tiny bit causing the previous 'logs' to be off and you are pulling the new log to match and causing a stretch. I say this because most of us have done the same thing in the beginning. If very minor, you may be able to press it flat. Also, be careful that you just aren't being over critical of yourself (another very common problem!).

Blog Entries
    Are you using batiks which are a tighter weave or is your stitch length too small?

When doing log cabins I use over size pieces, longer and wider, and trim them down. I am not the neatest quilter so I have to come up with ways that work for me. I do have a tendency to pull fabrics so I solved it by using the oversize and trim down method.

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Starching the fabric before you cut them into the strips for a log cabin helps keep their shape and doesn't ripple.

Blog Entries
    I found that in the beginning I was cutting my strips incorrectly, placing. My ruler over the bulk of fabric, as opposed to only the strip width of fabric

Blog Entries
    I was just sewing some log cabin blocks together and had this same situation happen. Some wavy strips as I sewed them.

I discovered that there was ever an ever so slight curve in the strip. The ruler I used to cut the strips was an old one. I picked it up not realizing it. The ruler was worn down and as I cut the fabric it created an unnoticeable curve until I started to sew them together.

This may also be a reason for wavy strips.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Quote Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
    Still on my first log cabin. One log is 8" x 2 1/2" and when block is sewed together that log is rippled. Any ideas what happened? That log is the widest and the center of the block. It's a 9 1/2" x 17 1/2" block.
    Sounds like you cut/sewed log on the crossgrain or width of fabric.
    Cutting them on the straight grain (parallel to selvedge) omits the waviness when sewing pieces together.
    Good luck!
    For me, it's about the process; the final outcome is incidental