Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
log cabin question how to >

log cabin question how to

log cabin question how to

Old 10-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

Judy Martin's newer books suggest strongly that you cut lenghwise with the grain and pre-cut lengths. I use this method on square log cabin blocks, because you get immediate feedback if your blocks are not coming out to the expected size. However, this is not the only way to make log cabin blocks, and if another method works for you, then there's nothing wrong with using that method. The quilt in my avatar is a log cabin, but the strips can't be pre-cut to length because the block is diamond-shaped. I had to come up with other ways of making this block keep its size and shape when I was writing the pattern.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Judy Martin's newer books suggest strongly that you cut lenghwise with the grain and pre-cut lengths. I use this method on square log cabin blocks, because you get immediate feedback if your blocks are not coming out to the expected size. However, this is not the only way to make log cabin blocks, and if another method works for you, then there's nothing wrong with using that method. The quilt in my avatar is a log cabin, but the strips can't be pre-cut to length because the block is diamond-shaped. I had to come up with other ways of making this block keep its size and shape when I was writing the pattern.
That is one gorgeous quilt!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by k9dancer
I finished a large log cabin quilt early this year. I do NOT pre-cut my strips, as I allow for the fact that my 1/4" is not always perfect, and I have given myself permission to not always be perfect. That gives me room to work stress-free. Furthermore, I cut my last strip a full 1/2" wider than the other rounds, so when it's time to square up my blocks, no worries! And the finished quilt looks great IMHO. Pics are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
OH SURE! wherer were you today, when i needed the "I cut my last strip a full 1/2", so it squares up right" talk!

i just finished a block, as a charity block for someone here on the board..and i am going to have to re-do the last lap! lol
I'm also the one that said it's okay to not be perfect!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

I use Eleanor Burns' method, and it works great! Never had any problems! :)
Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
I use Eleanor Burns' method, and it works great! Never had any problems! :)
Eleanor Burns and Billie Lauder are two of my favorites! They will always show you an easy method.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 AM

Pre cutting is neat, BUT--if your seam is off at all, the pieces won't fit properly. I use the full strip and cut off at the ends. Has worked for well over a dozen log cabin quilts.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by cjr
I know many of you make log cabin quilts, as I've seen many posted here. How do you do your log cabin quilts? I am incooperating log cabins in a quilt I'm working on. I did a test block by cutting logs from a long strip after sewing. My instructor says all should be precut or will curl. My test did not curl. How do you do them and why?
I don't cut my pieces first. For one reason, I generally make up the order of the 'logs' as I go along, and if I would have precut them, it would not be as easy to change their order. I have found that sewing and THEN cutting is much more accurate, too, because if your 1/4" seam is even a hair off, it will magnify as you add the blocks and will pull the seams toward the end. Also, if you are so inclined, paper piecing a log cabin block is extremely accurate!
Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mailmanldy
I have Marti Michelles Log Cabin ruler... haven't made one yet, but it gives you lines for how wide to cut the fabric and then the lengths to cut the strips so they all go together correctly... I'm going to have to dig that out and try one one of these days. I have her kaleidoscope rulers also, and need to use them as well... I love gadgets... just don't have the time to use them all.
I too have the rulers but have never tried them. Log cabin is my favorite pattern and I have yet to make one except a 3 1/2" block border that was paper pieced for a small lap quilt. Some day......
Whatever method you are comfortable with is the way to go. Cross cut strips may stretch more than length-wise strips.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 AM

What strip width do you normally use for your blocks?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by JanetLW
What strip width do you normally use for your blocks?

the one i made today, has 3.5 inch center, and 2" cut strips.

here is the pattern i used:
http://delawarequilts.com/BOMs/LogCabin/index.html