Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Log Cabin Quilts

Log Cabin Quilts

What is your favorite method for constructing the log cabin blocks? Do you prefer cutting the strips to size for each section of the block or to sew each pieced section to a long strip and trimming after? I know this is suppose to be a very easy block to sew, but first, I have trouble deciding on fabrics (lights and darks) and have a hard time getting started without a diagram.

I've only done scrappy, wonky style, log cabins ala Mary Johnson's instruction site, but I am collecting florals and lights to do a barnbum (one of our members) special, so I will have to get serious (maybe). I have Judy Martin's book on log cabins to guide me. It has excellent ratings if you are looking for expert, published advice.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I strip piece. Love the quilt in a day method.
    Happy Quilting.

I love these log cabin blocks. I cut each piece and sew together, one block at a time.

I prefer to cut the strips to size and then sew them. I tried sewing them onto a long strip and my blocks tended to grow wonky.

I made one with the Quilt in a Day method and loved it...all my blocks came out square and when I sewed on that last log, all 24 blocks were done!

Power Poster
    I use the strip method and there are so many patterns to possibly use, you don't get sick of making the log cabin.

I make log cabins the Judy Martin way. Starch, cut with the grain, cut each log to length, and chain piece. If I'm using scraps I can't always starch and cut with the grain, but I still cut each log to length.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I make log cabins the Judy Martin way. Starch, cut with the grain, cut each log to length, and chain piece. If I'm using scraps I can't always starch and cut with the grain, but I still cut each log to length.
    I am with Dunster on this ... Starch ..cut lenghtwise grain, cut to lenght ... I tried the strip method it didn't seem to make that much difference to me time wise , but it was easier to get wonky going with strips and cross grain. I like Eleanor Burns but on this issue we differ.

Blog Entries
    No matter how hard I try, I cannot keep my log cabins straight unless I paper piece them.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I tried the strip piecing method and ended up with really wonky blocks. I even tried putting the strip on the top of the block but it really didn't make much difference. I find that cutting the peices to a pre-determined length and measuring the whole block after each round really makes a difference. I love the log cabin block but it is very labour intensive.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Blog Entries
    I enjoy strip piecing log cabin blocks. Have never had a problem with them turning out wonky. Tried the Judy Martin way, cutting all logs to length before sewing, and could not stand the boredom of that much cutting.

I made one log cabin block cut the pieces to size with no problems, My first quit was with half square triangle points matched, Them I read on hear how hard these are to do. Hmm why did I not have a problem? Maybe just determination!

Blog Entries
    I do mine both ways, have no problems with either way, just love log cabin quilts!
    dare to dream

I love log cabin quilts. Enjoy making yours.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I love the way kaye wood makes the diamond and triangle log cabins getting ready to do some of them. i have some little girls i want to showcase was thinking attic windows but think the log cabin will be nicer ... we'll see
    good luck with yours

Blog Entries
    For me, pp is the easiest. Allways comes out square

Blog Entries
    I'm an Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day believer. This was the first quilt I ever made and still enjoy doing the strip method and it works great for me and moves along quite fast. I have to do very little squaring. I'm always excited to complete the blocks to see what they look like.
    Dreams Do Come True
    Good friends are like quilts - they age with you, yet never lose their warmth.

Y'know, I've tried all three methods (paper piecing, strip and cut-to-fit), all of them work, but each works best depending on what I am doing. If all the darks are the same and all the lights are the same, and it's a large block (12" finished or larger) I use the strip method. If it's Scrap City and the blocks are 9" or larger, I cut to fit. For every other size (i.e., smaller), whether or not darks/lights are the same, I paper piece.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar View Post
    Y'know, I've tried all three methods (paper piecing, strip and cut-to-fit), all of them work, but each works best depending on what I am doing. If all the darks are the same and all the lights are the same, and it's a large block (12" finished or larger) I use the strip method. If it's Scrap City and the blocks are 9" or larger, I cut to fit. For every other size (i.e., smaller), whether or not darks/lights are the same, I paper piece.
    Tks for this thread. I've learned a lot. As a beginner, I plan to make a log cabin and, knowing me, the only way I'm going to get it right is to paper piece. Is there a good pattern out there I can follow?

If you really feel you need to paper piece it .. Go to Quilters Cache for printable patterns... If the idea of removing all that paper has you hesitating... they do make a pre-printed cloth foundation that you can sew directly onto, and do not remove once you are done. The pre- printed cloth is a nice alternative to taking out all of those papers. I recently finished a pinapple done in very small strips some only 1 inch cut ... it took me more than a day to get all the papers out. It will be awhile before I do that again.

I like Dunster's way the best. After all the strips are cut, I line up the stacks according to size and colors and start sewing the blocks. I find it's easier.

Still using Eleanor Burns, Quilt in a Day. I measure and "square" them after each additional strip is sewn.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

RST
    Blog Entries
    I use strips. But because I like the variety of color placement and extreme scrappiness, I will sometimes cut strips shorter to help avoid the dread repetition of fabric and color in the same place on blocks.

I've found that it's not necessary to be uptight about absolute square construction, particularly if your logs are fairly narrow (my preferred width is 1.5 inches, thought I will go as wide as 2.25). Once the quilt is constructed, small variations in block size and shape are not an issue, and actually add to my enjoyment of the patterns.

I would never have the patience to foundation piece a log cabin block. That sounds like torture to me.
    RST

Izy
    I made a tute here on the board after so many of you wanted to see how I put my Uneven Log Cabin together, here is a link:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t106556.html

It's like paper piecing but you leave the foundation in place, it's a great way to ensure accuracy and stability!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's quarter to me time!!

Izy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast