Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lone star quilt >

Lone star quilt

Lone star quilt

Old 07-24-2018, 05:40 AM

Default Lone star quilt

Hi everyone! I was just wondering if it would be possible to make an 11 colour lone star quilt from fat quarters? If not how on earth do I work out the yardage I need? The strips will be 1.5inch wide unfinished.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 AM

I think I would buy a pattern that had the yardage already figured.

I've not made a Lone Star, but unless you're just doing it scrappy, each concentric row will take more fabric than the one before it (as the star gets bigger). So, you still have to figure the yardage, even if you're using fat quarters.

bkay
Old 07-24-2018, 06:33 AM

I don't want to take away from somebody selling you a pattern, but there are free patterns for the lone star quilt out there. I googled "lone star quilt pattern" and came up with several options available. There are quilting books that also contain the lone star pattern and fabric requirements available at most libraries. I've admired the long star quilts since I started quilting …. one like my great-grandmother made me many, many years ago so it is on my bucket list. I look forward to seeing yours.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

http://waterpenny.net/how-to-make-a-...ne-star-quilt/ this says 1 inch!!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:59 PM

I pulled mine and to make an 71" x 71", you would cut them into 1-7/8". It calls for 1/2 yd. of say orange, 3/8 yd of
black, 3/8 yd of yellow and 3/8 yd of green. Then you have your set-in pieces which calls for 3/4 yd plus your inner and outer borders plus binding. If you have orange in several fat quarters, then maybe it would work unless you want it all scrappy.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:20 AM

I still think I'd buy a pattern, or get one out of a book from the library. I don't have EQ or any other quilt software. I can figure the fabric for most quilts fairly easily. Because this one has so many colors and they are cut so small, it becomes more of a chore to accurately determine how much of each you color you need. Also, sometimes it's hard to find more of a fabric when/if you run short, especially if it's been a while since you bought it. In addition, scraps are not always used.

I've looked at some of the patterns on the internet (some free and some for $). They come in all sizes, shapes and color combinations. I've seen strips everywhere from 1 1/2 inches to 3 inches. The colors repeat differently in each quilt. The only way to know how much of which colors to buy is decide how you want it to look. Once you've made a decision on what it's going to look like, you'll have figure the yardage yourself or use a commercial pattern.

This is an already long post, but I have to add that I planned to make a Log Cabin quilt as my first quilt. I knew I wanted it done in blues and beiges. Actually, I had a pattern book, but didn't really understand how to use it. I couldn't figure out how much of each color to buy. So, I just bought a yard of this and a 1/2 yard of that. I still haven't made that log cabin, but I still have all those blues I bought.

Because of my experience, I would suggest either buying a used book on Amazon or borrowing one from the library. Figure out how to use it. They give you yardage information for each size. Or, look on the internet until you find one in the size, shape and general configuration you want and buy it. Most quilt patterns are $10.00 on the web.

JMHO

bkay
Old 07-26-2018, 05:16 AM

How about 9 colors? Pattern here using 2.5 inch strips.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...79064355880344

Will you get the color effect using 11 colors since the color placement is staggered? Perhaps 12 colors would work for your design.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Eleanor Burns has a book on the Lone Star Quilt. It is very easy to follow and gives yardages for wallhanging to making different sized quits.