Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm practice >

Long Arm practice

Long Arm practice

Old 02-06-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I'm gonna be broke before I am good enough to do an actual quilt. I got my new tin lizzie yesterday and have practiced non stop. I can do meandering loops pretty well. LOL This is going to take alot longer than I thought. I keep boxing myself into a corner.

I'm buying the cheapest batting possible went to JoAnns 4 times with 50% off coupons and tommorrow I am going to good will for sheets to quilt for practice.

Don't take your LAQ for granted, this is very hard work!

From any of you Long Arm Quilters out there, any advise?
Will you keep us updated on how you do, because I'm thinking about buying one and I'd like to know how long it will take me to learn, also can you get a special computer program that you hook up to it that will do a lot of the design work for you ??? just asking
Old 02-06-2011, 02:35 PM

so many great hints
Old 02-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Thanks for this thread!!! I'm at the practice stage too. I can stipple, meander and loop pretty good, but now it's time to build my skill at what to put in individual blocks. Just got some templates and i'm looking forward to working with them. Need way more practice on feathers. Thanks for all your suggestions. Using these machines is an art and not easy work. I really admire all the beautiful quilting I see here.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:43 PM

For batting look at Goodwill for those padded mattress toppers.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:53 PM

My daughter and future SIL have two rescued bunnies as pets. She asked me to make her "bunny quilts" that she could use in the bunny pen for them to run around on. She was using old sheets, but they are not stiff enough, and the bunnies bunched them up.

So I took old sheets, top and bottom, and my first practice quilts went to the bunnies. I practiced different size designs and movements, and figured out the tension issues. (I only have a mid-arm, but the theory is the same.) And my first two quilts went to the bunnies, who are chewing up the edges, but they are holding up after being washed once a week!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12 PM

That's a good idea too. Someone also sent me a PM and suggested that I roll my first practice quilt back, put new cloth on the top and use it over again. Thanks to all for all of the wonderful advise and ideas. Really appreciated.

Originally Posted by true4uca
For batting look at Goodwill for those padded mattress toppers.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM

I have been using a Voyager17 for about 8 months now and i find practice is a must. i have a 2ft sq piece of plexiglass and i can size my design to the quilt and retrace the design over and over before i quilt it. and i always have a cup of tea and i have a tall stool i sit on while doing slow quilting work. my practice quilts end up at Ronald MacDonald house
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 AM

you can use water soluble thread in either the bobbin or the top and then dissolve the thread and use the batting, backing, and top over and over again.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Mainly what everyone else has suggested.

Practice, practice practice.

Any time you are not using the longarm, and can, practice drawing even if in the dust on the furniture! lol

I draw on paper, on table tops, anywhere just got get the feel for a pattern.

And yes, remember to breath and relax. Keep your grip relaxed otherwise your muscles will hurt.

Go with the flow of your body not just your arms.

Post your progress!

Have FUN!