Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Question >

Long Arm Question

Long Arm Question

Old 03-26-2022, 10:54 AM

Cool Long Arm Question

I have a question that has been nudging at me. I've been watching Donna Jordan set quilts up on their long arm and then watch it as it works. I've only see the top needle arm move across the quilt as it it quilting.
The question I have is: For a long arm, especially her huge one, is there a bobbin underneath? If not how does the thread catch to stay in the quilt. Or is there a different way a long arm places a 'bobbin' thread?

Old 03-26-2022, 10:57 AM

There is a 4" platform underneath that is attached to the rest of the long arm. (Look behind at the back and you'll see the whole machine is shaped like a big "C" and goes above and below the fabric). It all moves at the same time. The platform has a hole in it and the needle goes down into the hole and picks up the bobbin thread which is underneath. They use "M" bobbins, which take more thread than a regular bobbin...but never enough.

Watson

Last edited by Watson; 03-26-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2022, 10:59 AM

Yes, a longarm has a bobbin underneath. It is a front-loading rotary hook system. And longarms have bigger bobbins than regular sewing machines.
Old 03-26-2022, 11:07 AM
Banned

Yes, there’s a bobbin. Just picture a long sewing machine. The bobbin case on my HandiQuilter Avante is at the front of the arm.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:21 PM

My longarm is like a giant free arm machine that only does a straight stitch! That is how most of the industrial long arms are.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:28 PM

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-27-2022, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
There is a 4" platform underneath that is attached to the rest of the long arm. (Look behind at the back and you'll see the whole machine is shaped like a big "C" and goes above and below the fabric). It all moves at the same time. The platform has a hole in it and the needle goes down into the hole and picks up the bobbin thread which is underneath. They use "M" bobbins, which take more thread than a regular bobbin...but never enough.

Watson
Amen! Never enough thread on that there bobbin!