Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long Arm Ruler Base >

Long Arm Ruler Base

Long Arm Ruler Base

Old 01-16-2020, 08:03 PM

Default Long Arm Ruler Base

I ordered myself a ruler base for my long arm (BabyLock Regalia). Yay. But I have a random question.... Is the brown layer supposed to peel off? all the pictures I see show a clear base. However, when I first tried to take it off, it did not seem very peel-able, and I didn't want to ruin anything so I didn't keep trying. I am just hoping for some confirmation before I continue trying.... Thanks!

Also, what are you favorite rulers? size, shape, brand?
Attached Thumbnails ruler-base.jpg  
Old 01-16-2020, 10:29 PM
Power Poster

Yes, it should peel off. It will move more smoothly under the quilt when the paper is gone.

I have far more rulers than I need, but I've used them all at one time or another. HandiQuilter rulers are very good, especially the VersaTool. I like De Loa's Castle ruler for SITD and echoing straight lines. It's nice to have an assortment of circles of different sizes. I prefer clear rulers to those that have a tint, but sometimes the ruler you want just happens to be blue or pink.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:00 AM

It will peel off. I usually use a straight pin to try to get under one corner or scratch a small line into the paper at a corner without scratching the acrylic to peel it off.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:30 AM

I wouldn't be without my "Line Tamer" www.fourpawsquilting.com.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I love The Quilted Pineapple curved rulers. I have this set and I use them quite a bit. https://thequiltedpineapple.bigcarte...by-linda-hrcka

I also use a small straight ruler on every quilt that needs SITD as well as straight line ruler work. I prefer a small one as it is easier to handle. I have an HQ straight one that is 3" x 12" and it is too big, I never grab it. I use this one a lot: https://www.quiltedjoy.com/product/m...cas-edge-ruler.

One word of advice for ruler work. If you are doing long runs of straight lines or cross hatching (like in this quilt: Tealfalcon's Pumpkin Pie quilted by Feline Fanatic ) I strongly recommend marking in advance. It is amazing how quickly your nice straight line can get out of kilter when advancing the quilt.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I love The Quilted Pineapple curved rulers. I have this set and I use them quite a bit. https://thequiltedpineapple.bigcarte...by-linda-hrcka

I also use a small straight ruler on every quilt that needs SITD as well as straight line ruler work. I prefer a small one as it is easier to handle. I have an HQ straight one that is 3" x 12" and it is too big, I never grab it. I use this one a lot: https://www.quiltedjoy.com/product/m...cas-edge-ruler.

One word of advice for ruler work. If you are doing long runs of straight lines or cross hatching (like in this quilt: Tealfalcon's Pumpkin Pie quilted by Feline Fanatic ) I strongly recommend marking in advance. It is amazing how quickly your nice straight line can get out of kilter when advancing the quilt.
I've been wanting the Quilted Pineapple rulers for a long time but the whole set is out of my budget. Are there one or two sizes you find you go to most often?
Old 01-17-2020, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
I've been wanting the Quilted Pineapple rulers for a long time but the whole set is out of my budget. Are there one or two sizes you find you go to most often?
I really use all but the 10" size a lot. But going back through my posts where I always list what rulers I use, it would appear I use the BFF, 8" and 15" the most.