Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
long lost picture >

long lost picture

long lost picture

Old 08-19-2022, 07:23 PM

Default long lost picture

Browsing on Pinterest again, saw another quilt I want to do. It redirected to the Board, here, but only showed the same picture as on Pinterest; did not show up with the original posting. This one is an Irish Chain, with a Missouri Daisy (or Golden Glow) block alternating with the chain, all on-point. I looked in the Pictures section, but I couldn't find it there. It has beautiful deep burgundy stars with lighter (burgundy and white) print flower petals, and the same fabrics making up the chain portion.
There was a post in September, 2012 from Abuelita, asking if anyone had seen the Golden Glow block, which looks pretty similar, but none of those settings in the links are done on-point. Does anyone know where I can locate that picture/pattern. I did find the Missouri Daisy pattern in Brachman's block base, but as far as the Irish chain blocks, it did not provide enough of the picture for me to figure out how big to make the chained blocks so it will fit with the Daisy blocks.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fb/da/bb/f...243523fdd8.jpg
Old 08-20-2022, 04:30 AM

What a beautiful block! If you look at the spot where the two irish chains come together, you can see that it is a 25 patch and that it is the same size as the Golden Glow block. That is 5 squares across and 5 squares down. If your squares finished at 2 inches, that would make the block 10 inches. And if your squares finish at 2 1/2 inches, that would make the block 12 1/2 inches. Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:10 AM

I thought I came across this recently in quilterscache.com
Unfortunately I can't remember the name and it might not be found in just Stars.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:04 AM

I just wanted to add that the block is not set on point. The irish chain just makes it look that way. Looking at the seam lines, it is set square. But I do believe there is an extra row of irish chain blocks used as sashing between the blocks and between the rows.

Toogie, I believe the name of the block in Quilterscache is dahlia and it is not quite the same. This one reminds me of a single colour lonestar with appliqued petals and center. It would certainly be easier to make that way, rather than the curved piecing and gathering from the 1932 and 1935 patterns.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:30 AM

I have made this block, just not in the Irish Chain setting. I know it as Dahlia. I also printed out this same picture and am planning to make this into a quilt. Thank you, GingerK, for your insight into the piece sizes. I will need to see how that fits with my dahlia block size.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:37 AM

That is Gorgeous! Hope you find all the patterns you need to make this. I like those colors also.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
...Looking at the seam lines, it is set square. But I do believe there is an extra row of irish chain blocks used as sashing between the blocks and between the rows.

Toogie, I believe the name of the block in Quilterscache is dahlia and it is not quite the same. ...
I agree about the sashing between blocks and between rows. I took the picture of the quilt found at https://www.amishloft.com/quilts/bed/quilt_mar131.html into Paint and tried to start with a block like the Amish Dahlia (which is a little different then one seen in this quilt) and came to the conclusion that it would be easiest with sashing of chain blocks.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 08-20-2022, 11:27 AM

Default Long lost pictures

Thank you all for your input. Block base has the dahlia (Missouri Daisy) block, so just need dimensions for the chain. I went to the Amish Loft site, and saw the exact picture. As beautiful as it is, I can make it myself a lot cheaper. I had done an Irish Chain many, many years ago, and had almost forgotten it. Seeing this one revived my interest. My oldest sister is the only one of my siblings that doesn't have a quilt from me, so I will be making this for her in purples, as that is her favorite color . Back to my graph paper to draw out the chain block to fit the star block . Gotta stay off Pinterest for a while, though. Too many new ideas, and too little time to make everything I see, lol
Old 08-20-2022, 11:51 AM

Once you decide how big you want the center block to be, then, then the Irish chain will be easy to calculate. There are a lot of free patterns available if you need assistance. It's beautiful, piecing the dahlias will be a challenge, but the results will be worth the effort.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:31 PM

Janey, Thanks for the comment about the sashing. I was having a problem figuring out how to make the pattern as blocks. That is a neat quilt.