Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
longarm bobbin gadget?? >

longarm bobbin gadget??

longarm bobbin gadget??

Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by misoop
P.S.....I recently had a terrible time trying to quilt a quilt that had batiks for some of the patchwork. My HQ16 just made horrible skipped stitches on the batiks, but not the other cottons. Anyone had this experience? That's why I'm looking into this bobbin gadget. Appreciate suggestions/comments about this, too.
What needle size, thread and batting are you using? The issue could be with any of the these, or the quilt tension as you mentioned.

Debbie in Austin
Old 10-02-2010, 06:22 AM

(The backlash screw is located on the FRONT of the bobbin case and is even tinier than the tension screw. Adjust it and test every turn - about 2 minutes worth, until your bobbin rides just right. Test using letters O, T, M, and S - if all look good, your set.)

Thanks, Debbie, so much for your info. No one has ever told me about this backlash screw. I will certainly try this. I guess it's righty-tighty & lefty-loosey?
Old 10-02-2010, 03:04 PM

I'd say start with some silicon drops (Sewers Aide) and spread 4-5 rows on thread. This helps so much, for a variety of things,

Do you mean to spread the Sewers Aide up and down the cone of thread in 4-5 rows? Does it saturate before using the thread, or do you have to reapply it during the quilting process? Just exactly what does it do to the thread? You have been most helpful. BTW, I did have a new size 16 needle and the lady had sent polyester batting to use in her quilt. Also, the quilt backing was a densely woven cotton also.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:35 AM
Banned

If you will take a nice long look at your bobbin case, you will find that there are indeed two screws on the outside, one large and one small. The large one is for adjusting your bobbin tension. I don't know what the small one is for, but I don't see how it can have anything to do with the backlash spring.

On the inside, there is a thin piece of metal, that is slightly bent and it is removable. It looks like a perforated washer. THAT is your backlash "spring" or "brake". THAT is what controls backlashing.

It can't be flat, or it won't work right. They DO wear out. You can rebend it so that the "spring" is back. I keep these in stock for both my longarm and my sewing machines.

How your thread spools off the cone also contributes to the amount of backlashing you will experience. I don't typically have any trouble with backlashing myself, until my backlash spring is worn out, but the magnetic core bobbins (Magna Glides) totally and completely eliminate this issue, because the backlash spring is removed, and the magnetic core does all the controlling.

It's much more precise.