Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Longarm to buy >

Which Longarm to buy

Which Longarm to buy

Old 11-02-2011, 02:28 PM

I have had an Innova 18" with the lightening stitch regulator for one year and love it. It is easy to handle and has great stitch quality. The lightening stitch regulator is awesome - no big stitch when you first start the machine. Contact me if you have any questions.

innova18
Old 11-02-2011, 03:03 PM

I bought an Innova 26" with lightening stitch in August. I agree with Innova18 about ease of handling and great stitches. I also love my dealer. She taught a wonderful 3 day course. She is prompt about answering emails and answering my questions. They even made a delivery to me when they were in the area for another customer.

I learned on a Nolting and used a Gammill (both without a stitch regulator) rented by the hour at my old LQS. I also tried a Tin Lizzie and an HQ before deciding on the Innova.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM

I have the Babylock Crown Jewel and I love her. She is the twin to the 18 in Avante and is actually manufactured by HQ. She is very easy to use and beautiful stitches.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM

I have a Babylock Crown Jewel also and love it. It came with a Grace Majestic frame. Babylock offers a 4 day class in St. Louis which I attended and came away with lots more confidence. I tried every longarm at the show at least twice and loved the Jewel the best. I was able to get interest free financing for 4 years at the show as well.
I have purchased design boards from HQ for the Avante, which, as Kacy said is the same machine. My only problem is that the nearest dealer is 1 1/2 hours away.
I bought my Jewel at the Cincinnati Quilt show in the Spring and got a great deal there compared to what I have seen elsewhere. The class was included in the price but I still had to get to St. Louis and pay for a hotel room, but the Baby Lock folks helped me find a roommate so the cost was alot less. The class is taught by Kay Capps Cross who is an excellent and very fun teacher.
I agree that the location of a good dealer for your machine is an important issue so check out what is in your area and then look at those machines. But try them all, shake the frames, ask questions and stand around and listen to what others say - some will be folks who have that machine and can give you good info.
Good luck!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM

So glad I found this thread! I have been researching different LA options. The Homesteader is made near me in NC. I have gotten very good info about it. My mom has a Gammill 18" and loves it. (The Gammill dealership is in Fayetteville, NC) I have quilted 2 king-sized quilted on it and like it. I have also quilted on a Voyager 17" and it was good. The shop I teach in has the Baby Lock Crown Jewel and will make me a deal. I am hungry for as much info, good and bad, as I can find! Thanks for all the info!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM

There are as many answers as there are different systems. You need to make a list of what you need on your system and what are your dreams.
You might want to check out the yahoo group for homequiltingsystems. There is wealth of information there. Many people have done lots of research and have lists in the data base on that site.
Good luck on your search and don't rush into it. Take the time to do lots of homework and lots of test drives.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:08 AM

I sell Gammill because I think they're the best. I think they have the best track record. I also always notice so many ads for attachments or related products most often show a Gammill in the ad. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 AM

I've had the Gammill 18" for just a short time. I tested all the longarms at a quilt expo and the Gammill and HQ were my "finalists". I chose the Gammill because it felt the best to me....that's something only you can decide. If there were dealers relatively close to me, that would have influenced my decision greatly! Although Gammill is only a phone call away, they're very helpful with any kind of question, I do wish sometimes that I could just drive to the dealer and have them SHOW me.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:39 PM

I appreciate all the comments on all the different types of machines. Guess it boils down to 'driveability' and price and dealer support....just like cars!

Still researching and dreaming here...
Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Best you can reasonably afford. I got a TL 18LS and don't regret it at all.