Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm machines and classes >

Longarm machines and classes

Longarm machines and classes

Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 AM

Default Longarm machines and classes

I am in the process of researching longarm machines and am interested in peoples opinions of various machines. I'm looking for a beginner machine in the price range of $9,000-$11,000. Eventually I want to move to a robotic machine so I don't want to look at companies that just have basic machines but rather room to grow to a bigger machine. Also for anyone in Colorado do you know of anywhere I can go for longarm classes? Thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:10 AM

I do know of a lot of HQ people wanting to go up to the newer Avante or Fusion. You might want to check for used machines. When in Utah I found a few of the HQ 16's for sale.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:16 AM

I can recommend the the Handiquilter Avante or Fusion. A machine that can go robotic very easily. i picked up a used Avante for $7000. no problems after owning 4 years. DH is pushing for robotics, but I don't want to spend the money ;-) Weird.

Last edited by DebraK; 03-19-2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I would really look at the HQ Avante or Fusion. I would not look at the HQ 16 as the traoth space is limiting and would not be worth putting robotics on. IMHO If and when you go to the robotics it will be affordable with HQ versus other brands. Or atleast more affordable. I decided on the Innova but it will be more costly to go to true robotics.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 AM

http://www.mqsshow.org/ MQS (machine quilter's showcase) is coming up in Wichita KS if that is close enough to where you are in CO. It has lots of machine quilting classes and vendors.

I recommend www.mqresource.com which is a machine quilting forum that has members with all different types of machines.

I bought a used 2003 APQS Millenium from a dealer in 2009. I have had no problems and great service from the company.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:13 AM

Sorry I forgot to add. I suggest you get a good dvd on begining longarm quilting. Myrna Ficken and Kimmy Brunner both have good ones.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Check out Innova. I am thrilled with mine, and there are some packages in your price range. Innova machines are designed so that upgrades are easy.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:01 AM

I purchased my Gammill Vision 18/8 for about $10,000 2 and 1/2 years ago and I love it. You have a choice of the 10' or 12' frame. I got the 10' because of space restrictions. They were having a good sale. I received a 2-day training class and quite a few videos with the machine.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:23 AM

I would suggest you purchase as much machine as you can afford to get and be sure it can be upgraded later with more bells and whistles. If you purchase a machine now thinking you can sell it later for a different machine that sale may take a long time to happen.
Get the most throat space you can afford. I purchased HQ16 and am very happy with it but wish I had more throat space.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 AM

I would recommend APQS Lenny or Lucy if you want new--or you could buy a used Freedom or Millinium (a larger throat) for probalbly the same price as a new Lenny or Lucy. Go to APQS website and to the Forum and go to the "Machine, For Sale" site and you will find many good machines for sale. It seems that alot of people sell a smaller throat machine because they want to upgrade to a larger throat machine. It also seems that alot of people buy a new one after 5 or 6 years. There are many used machines with good prices on them. I bought a APQS Freedom (new) over 2 years ago and have quilted about 180 quilts and have had no problems at all with it.