Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: longarm/midarm beginner

longarm/midarm beginner

I have bought a midarm quilting machine and live in the country too far away from anywhere to take classes. Does anyone know where to find the best online classes, dvd's or youtube clips? I have searched youtube but there are so many and so far, what I have found hasn't been very helpful.
    Also I am in Australia and wondering about the American quilting shows on tv. Are they worth subscribing to over the internet?

Hope you can help me
    A Quilters fun is never done!

i have heard craftsy.com is good and someone called the pajama quilter....
    So many quilts, so little time :-)

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/ you can find some free classes here, they also have classes that can be purchased. I know a few people from other forums have taken these classes and been very pleased.

I have really liked youtube with the quilting. Some you have to be selective, but I have learned so much when I started. Little things, about pulling thread up when you start and finish was the first thing that came to mind.

Handi Quilter has a whole Quilters Academy of videos. Handcrafters House can help you.
    Harriet
    https://www.facebook.com/Thelaststitch
    Handi Quilter International Educator

I just bought one of Kim Brunner's DVDs. It's wonderful! She hits on things that I haven't seen before and she's very good at explaining how and why you do things.

I would direct you to the Pajama Quilter, but I just checked over there an it says they are sold out of her DVD. I would look at the trailers for both of them. Maybe ask if they will get anymore in. I love her stuff..and great for a beginner.

www.pajamaquilter.com

There ae numerous you tube tutorials, just look around until you find something that looks interesting.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Thank you ladies, I checked out Pajama Quilter and yes they are sold out, but will try asking if they will be getting more. I also had a look at Longarm University and there is some interesting stuff on there so I will be looking into some classes. I will also look into Kim Brunner. Youtube .... well i guess I will just have to be patient as I sift through the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks again

Ooh I have just had a look at the Handi Quilter site! lots of video's there!
    Last edited by happyjan; 02-14-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Have you checked to see if there is a forum for the owners/users of the same brand quilting machine you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
    Have you checked to see if there is a forum for the owners/users of the same brand quilting machine you are using?
    Yes I only found one for the frame and machine I am using, it only had 2 members and no posts for a couple of years lol

What machine and frame do you have?