Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm quilters and invisiable thread? >

Longarm quilters and invisiable thread?

Longarm quilters and invisiable thread?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Default Longarm quilters and invisiable thread?

It is possible or recommended to use invisible thread on a long arm quilter? I have a quilt I'm trying to do on the long arm, and no matter how i change the tension i am either getting the top thread on the bottom or visa versa. The quilt top is a really really lose muslum fabric which I feel is the main reason. any suggestions?
Old 07-12-2018, 12:14 PM

If your issue is with the fabric, (I assume you meant muslin and not Muslim) you might want to experiment with other brands or weights of thread. You don’t say what type of thread your having issue with, or what machine your using. A little more info would help us help you. Are you using the same thread on top and bobbin?
FWIW, my Fusion is persnickety and only likes cotton thread, King Tut specifically and I’m ok with that. Tension can be picky, but the more info we have the more responses you may get.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 PM

Absolutely possible - I've done it. Not in the bobbin though - I wouldn't want to try that, myself. I like the glide version best of the ones I've tried.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:22 PM

I've used it on several occasions on my Gammill--but only as top thread. I use either a SoFine or MagnaGlide in the bobbin and have had no problems. I use a thread net and don't loosen the top thread at all. Biggest problem I have is that it's truly hard to see to thread!
Old 07-12-2018, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I've used it on several occasions on my Gammill--but only as top thread. I use either a SoFine or MagnaGlide in the bobbin and have had no problems. I use a thread net and don't loosen the top thread at all. Biggest problem I have is that it's truly hard to see to thread!
I posted about hard to thread and someone on here suggested I put some black marker on the end to make it easier to see.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:18 AM

Im using a Qunique 14, the thread is "superior" 50 wt on the top and the bottom. Looks like I'm making a trip to my local QS to try a different Weight thread. thanks for the help
Old 07-13-2018, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I have used monofiliment (both Superior's brand Monopoly and Essence, made by the same people who make Glide). Both have worked wonderfully for me but they can be even more finicky with tension than regular threads. When you say you are using Superior 50 wt, Superior makes a couple of threads that are 50 wt. There is So Fine, which is a poly and Masterpiece which is cotton. Both are great threads so it sounds to me like you need to figure out what your tension issue is.
The top being a loose muslin shouldn't be impacting your tension. There are other variables involved which can include, but are not limited to:
Batting, backing fabric, Hopping foot height setting, needle size, needle bar height setting, how good the tension is on your wound bobbin, a blob of lint stuck somewhere in your bobbin case, and finally your check spring (they do wear out and should be replaced on a fairly regular basis). If you have not been having tension issues before, I would recommend watching Jamie Wallen's youtube video about setting bottom tension. Once you have followed his instructions, completely rethread the top and start making small adjustments to your top tension only until your issue is resolved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM&t=6s

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-13-2018 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

Forgot to add, that loading the quilt too tightly on the rack can also affect your tension. Test by poking the sandwich from the bottom with your finger. You should be able to grab the bump made by your finger from the top up to your first knuckle.