Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm ruler question >

Longarm ruler question

Longarm ruler question

Old 08-07-2015, 06:18 AM

Default Longarm ruler question

I am ready to advance into ruler work and need help in choosing which brand/brands to choose. I have a straight one that came with my machine and I am interested in the curve ones too. What are the best sizes and shapes that can do more than one thing, etc? Appreciate any suggestions!
Old 08-07-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I'm assuming that you have the appropriate ruler platform to use templates safely.
Gadget girls:
https://www.thegadgetgirls.com/
And HandiQuilter:
https://www.handiquilter.com/shop/category/rulers/

I started off with a set of circles, and ovals. You can really do a lot with those 2 shapes.
My personal favorite is DeLoa Jones:
http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/shop/guides.html
Her circle busting templates allow you to quilt without being a contortionist, and her boomerangs are easy to use for curved crosshatching.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:35 AM

Lately I've gotten a few from Quilter's Rule (mostly Ronda's but they have other ones). I also have some of the ones from Handiquilter that are smaller that I got pretty soon after getting my Sweet Sixteen.

I did look at the ones from Quilted Pineapple but found more at QR to offset the shipping. Just got the QRs last week and haven't had a chance to play with them yet. Got to get all the kiddos back to school!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:32 PM

If you have a chance to visit a quilt show where you can see the rulers from Quilter's Rule I highly recommend going to see them in action. I like their rulers very much.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:12 AM

Westalee rulers, out of Australia, are becoming quilt popular here and are carried by some U.S. vendors. Check them out online.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Are you on a sit down or stand up Longarm? I have a Babylock Tiara II and didn't realize when I first started, that not all rulers are conducive to quilting on a sitdown machine. I have all the HandiQuilter rulers . . .and the ones I really can't use, are the very narrow ones, because the ruler im using also has to be used to move the quilt. The nesting half circles, is one such example. But if you're on a standup longarm, then disregard all that, LOL