Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
longarm thread preferences >

longarm thread preferences

longarm thread preferences

Old 05-27-2010, 03:28 AM

Hi,
I have just purchased an HQ16 quilting machine. I would be interested in your choices of quilting thread, and why you like it. Thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

my HQ-16 is (kind of picky) i guess...the threads that work the best for me is the maxilock threads for sergers (the cones)i have spent big $$ on cones of (quilting thread) which breaks every 2-3 inches and drives me crazy...spent big bucks on YLI verigated quilting thread...broke and frayed alot...tried cotton quilting threads...broke lots...i don't know if each machine has it's one mind about it, but i have a box full of threads my machine will not do well with, it is trial and error with each project. i always change my needle each project, when problems start i rethread, re-clean, re-insert bobbin, adjust tension...everything i can think of...when all else fails; i switch thread...and it usually fixes everything.
trial and error and practice to see what is going to work for you.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:16 AM

My favorite is King Tut on top and So Fine in the bobbin. 99% of the time my King Tut is varigated.

reds, gold misc
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74153[/ATTACH]

blues and purples,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74154[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74148.jpe   attachment-74149.jpe  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

One of my guild members has the HQ16 and she uses Robison Anton nylon thread in the bobbin. It's very fine and you can't see the bobbin thread in the front stitches. The nylon comes in many different colors on big cones. She swears by it for the bobbin.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Google Goddess

awesome
Old 05-27-2010, 06:26 AM

I have the HQ and I can use any thread. You do have to experiment at times.

If you get a lot of thread breakage, try loosening the needle tension. If it is still happening, only go thru the top 2 holes in the pretensioner. If it is still happening try using a larger needle.

I really like using the SUPER BOB'S by Superior for my bobbins. I get good stitch definition and very few bobbin tension problems with them.

Have fun with the new machine, I absolutely love mine.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM

thanks, very helpful
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM

thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 06:49 AM

With some experience, you should be able to run just about anything in your machine. Spend the money and get a TOWA gauge, they come in both the L and M bobbin sizes (L is the smaller and M is the larger bobbins). Its the best money I've spent to help with tension issues. Use it on every bobbin, every time. You can have two bobbins out of the same box and they will work differently. Using the TOWA gauge takes the guesswork out it.

Also, check out the Superior Threads site. Dr. Bob's school of Threadology will help you so much. Here's a short vidoo on tension.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/5-tension/

You can also watch their schedule for a class near you. Usually they are at major quilt shows. Well worth the trip for that class alone! There are classes coming up in Hawaii...I wonder if I can talk DH into a trip.....
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Do the drop test. Put a fresh bobbin in the bobbincase, thread the bobbincase correctly except for the "pigtail". Hold the bobbincase up by the thread (leave a hand underneath so it doesn't hit the floor!), let it dangle and jerk the thread to test the tension. If the bobbincase drops a few inches and stops you are in the ballpark. If it doesn't drop at all it's too tight. If it hits the floor it's too loose and you forgot to put your other hand under it.

What is the pigtail referring to?