Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Longarm -- yes or no!

I have noticed a few people on the board have their own Longarm and was wondering how many of you do have one and what do others do to quilt their quilts?

I quilt on my regular sewing machine. I've done 2 queen-size quilts and that's absolutely the biggest I can manage. Smaller than that is very do-able. I'm having a king-size quilted by a longarmer soon just because I can't handle it.

Well, I do not have a Long or Short arm. I use my new sewing machine.

I'm getting a mid-arm and frame. Just doing it on my machine is unwieldy starting in the twin-size range. And, even before I'm getting the mid-arm, I'm like....should I just suck it up and get the long arm? :lol:

My very DH got me a mid-arm for Christmas and I don't know what I did without it. I'm still learning to use it, but am already in love.

I have a HQ 16 and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I'm getting a mid-arm and frame. Just doing it on my machine is unwieldy starting in the twin-size range. And, even before I'm getting the mid-arm, I'm like....should I just suck it up and get the long arm? :lol:
    Just curious but what do you consider a mid-arm - a Juki maybe? I ask because I was considering the Juki but have heard pros and cons regarding the space available for quilting larger quilts.

I have a Mega Quilter on a frame and would rather have a long arm.

Certainly drooling seems possible as I look at the big quilting machines, maybe I'll nibble on a fingernail or two as well, but this is my hobby! I love machine piecing and hand quilting. I pin or baste to the max and then sit in front of the TV or in a recliner with a book cd and relax while I hand quilt. I can't imagine being relaxed while I ran my quilt through a quilting machine.

How about cost effective? Will I ever live so long as to make one of those space hogging machines cost effective? The few I've seen set up get a room of their own. Our dog doesn't even get a room of her own.

And naturally I argue this out every time I find myself procrastinating getting another quilt top ready to hand quilt. LOL You never know - I might sell some of our furniture and get one tomorrow.

Jois

Quote Originally Posted by Jois
    Certainly drooling seems possible as I look at the big quilting machines, maybe I'll nibble on a fingernail or two as well, but this is my hobby! I love machine piecing and hand quilting. I pin or baste to the max and then sit in front of the TV or in a recliner with a book cd and relax while I hand quilt. I can't imagine being relaxed while I ran my quilt through a quilting machine.

Jois
    I wish I could learn to love hand quilting. I think it is such a beautiful art. I tried it and was so frustrated I never really pursued it. I guess I am too impatient. I usually make large bed quilts so I probably would never finish hand quilting one.

I have an 18" Tin Lizzie and it's the best thing I ever bought myself. I couldn't afford a new one so I searched the web and found one I could afford online. I bought it within an hour of home from a quilter who was upgrading to a newer model Tin Lizzie. The longarm makes quilting possible for me, and I make many more quilts because I have it.
    We have a small house, we took out our kitchen table to make room for Lizzie and now we eat in the livingroom or patio. My husband said he'd get rid of the couch if I want it in the livingroom. He knows how importantLizzie is!

I bought an HQ16 just about a year ago. I watched all the used stuff sites and found it on Craigslist for a great price.

I had done a couple of queen sized on my Janome.

I have quilted over 50 quilts in the one year and most are for charity. I LOVE this machine. It does take up a lot of space but we are empty nesters and had the extra bedroom.

I am dreaming of getting a long or mid arm machine. Right now I quilt all my quilts on my Bernina and before that on my old Pfaff.

I have a Bailey 15", the price was something I could afford to find out if I'll stick with it enough to justify a bigger one. I WILL, untill more money comes my way I'm satisfied with what I have.

I have used my sewing machine and will in the future for things like placemats. I have a mid-arm (bless the friend that sold it to me cheap) and I'm learning on it. Yesterday was the first practice quilt I've made that I was pleased -- 4th one. I'm now ready to do a REAL quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by redpurselady

I wish I could learn to love hand quilting. I think it is such a beautiful art. I tried it and was so frustrated I never really pursued it. I guess I am too impatient. I usually make large bed quilts so I probably would never finish hand quilting one.
    It's very unusual for me to make anything larger than a twin sized quilt. Off the top of my head I've done one queen sized and nothing as complicated as the one with your beautiful profile photo!

Jois

I have the Janome 1600p and the Gracie sturdy lite with the updated cariage. And I love it! Yes it does take up alot of space. I'm a hobby quilter, not a pro. I bought this set up with the thought that it had to be better then stuffing a huge quilt under the sewing machine and it is better. I would love a 15 or 17 in throat, but my budget says this setup is great. I also got the Janome 6500p incase I ever had to use it on the frame. Good luck with you decision to purchase a setup.

Blog Entries
    Just curious but what do you consider a mid-arm - a Juki maybe? I ask because I was considering the Juki but have heard pros and cons regarding the space available for quilting larger quilts.
    I think the Juki has only a 9" harp (width under the arm). A mid-arm starts around 13".

A good place for information, pros/cons of different systems, is the homequiltingsystems group at http://www.groups.yahoo.com . Just recently there was a thread there that recommended spending a year researching and trying out quilting systems before actually purchasing a midarm or longarm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    No, I don't consider a Juki a mid-arm. I set up my brother 1500 on a frame, only six inchs of quilting space, I upgraded to the HQ 16. JMHO

Blog Entries
    I also had a dear friend who sold me her shortarm (Baby Lock Quilter's Choice Pro) on a New Joy frame for fairly cheap when she upgraded to an APQS longarm. It has taken me quite a long time to get used to using it, because I didn't take any lessons or anything, but now I just love it. I do sometimes wish I had more quilting space, but overall it works for what I do.

I had seen some where online a system of pvc tubes that had attachments at each end.

You rolled the quilt top on one, the batting on another and then the batting on the third. There were shorter pieces of tubing that you would put under each end of the contraption for ease of movement.

Darn if I can find the link now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaciris
    I had seen some where online a system of pvc tubes that had attachments at each end.

You rolled the quilt top on one, the batting on another and then the batting on the third. There were shorter pieces of tubing that you would put under each end of the contraption for ease of movement.

I found it! Google PVC quilt frame and Alex Anderson's dad built one. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine

I found it! Google PVC quilt frame and Alex Anderson's dad built one. I hope this helps.
    No, but I did find it, thanks !!!1

here is the link: http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho...-frame-system/

I have a Gammill Classic that I quilt my quilts with.
    We did have a business of longarm quilting but with the economy like it is & the crap that the Obama administration is doing, we shut it down in October last year. Not worth the hassle of having to pay taxes each month.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine

No, but I did find it, thanks !!!1

here is the link: http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/sho...-frame-system/
    Wow! On the flynnquilt website the cost of his system is $130, but I found it on Allbrands for $99!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast