Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ? for Longarmers

I jumped off and bought a longarm, ABM Innova 18", and will be going to the Beginner longarm retreat in Texas next weekend. I'm excited and anxious all at the same time. My question for you is what advice other than PPP would you give to newbies? What shortcuts, techniques, tools, etc. would you suggest? Thanks

Practice, practice, practice! Just as you've already heard. It's wonderful that you get to have a class, enjoy it! Congratulations! :thumbup: :thumbup:

LOL, my inner child comes out when I hear PPP, I want to do it well and do it now. :lol:

practice a lot and enjoy the learning process-do not be over critical as you learn.I have an Innova also-you will love it

Congratulations. You've already been told the most important thing, PPP. I wouldn't suggest that you buy a bunch of gadgets. As you need something, buy it. What works for one, does not necessarily work for someone else.

Blog Entries
    A HUGE timesaver would be to NOT sew the quilt top to the leader cloth!!! Please don't ask how I know... :lol: (Comes with that whole PPP thing! ;) )

Thank you! I had to think about that one for a minute. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    A HUGE timesaver would be to NOT sew the quilt top to the leader cloth!!! Please don't ask how I know... :lol: (Comes with that whole PPP thing! ;) )
    I have done that and kicked my self in the butt while picking it out. Sigh. I learned from that.

Buy a bolt of muslin (to start). Use a color that blends with that. If you can find some closeout fabric cheaper than muslin, it's a lot less boring to practice on that. PPP going around the designs, staying on lines, 1/4 away as an outline. And, don't forget to BREATHE!!!!

I buy a cheap bolt of muslin to practice with. Put on some music that you enjoy, don't forget to breathe and make a conscious effort to relax your neck and shoulder muscles. But most of all....have fun!!!

Congratulations on your new long arm. I just got an Innova myself and only loaded my very first "real" quilt on it this past week. So far I am pleased with the results.

Here are some things I am doing aside from PPP.

Doodle. Doodle alot! I have a big pad of art paper and pencils and I sit and doodle when watching TV. If I have an idea for a quilt I doodle it out, several times. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much that doodling translates to muscle memory when longarming. A whiteboard and dry erase markers work well too.

Don't be hyper critical of yourself and your newly forming skills. Allow yourself to make mistakes, go outside the line, have wonky feathers or pebbles that are all different sizes and not quite perfect circles. It is quite ok to not have every element perfect and uniform in size.

Do not under-estimate having good lighting!

I did buy some stencils to play with. I find I like them a lot. I have yet to invest in any pantos. I did purchase two ruler templates, a straight ruler and a continuous curve.