Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarmers: What ruler/template would you recommend for a beginner? >

Longarmers: What ruler/template would you recommend for a beginner?

Longarmers: What ruler/template would you recommend for a beginner?

Old 06-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Default Longarmers: What ruler/template would you recommend for a beginner?

I don't want to have a lot of rulers and templates that I end up not using. My machine does *not* have a stitch regulator, but I would like to move onto something more than freehand meander and loops.

Is there one multi-purpose template or ruler that you would suggest for a first purchase? (I have a Voyager 17 on a Hinterberg stretch frame.)
Old 06-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Yes, I would recommend the 6" grip ruler from Accents in Design made in Usk, WA. This is my go to ruler for most everything, especially cross hatch work. She has a set that is even better because it has a couple different sizes for curves and one of them works perfect for clam shells. They have etched lines that help you keep lined up. Her rulers are called Fine Line Rulers. http://www.accentsindesign.com/fineline.html Check it out.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM

A straight ruler is essential. You can use it to guide your stitch in the ditch and straight lines in your blocks.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

Thanks so much for the link to Accents in Design! For sure I am going to get the smaller straight and curved rulers to start with. I'd like to get the circles but it looks as if those are only for tracing designs on the frame.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

For circles, I would recommend DeLoa's circle buster rulers: http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/deloa...clebuster.html the rulers are designed so that you don't have to be a contortionist to use them. They have an 'innie' and an 'outie' side, both of which produce the same size circle. Circles are great for continuous curves, flowers etc.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:44 AM

If you have a glass shop nearby they can make some out of plexiglass. Take them the shape you need and have them cut and smooth the edges. Then you can have just the size you want. Also, if you are careful you can use heavy cardboard or foamboard to make your own.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Those Deloa circle busters look great too! I'm going to get one of those to try out -- maybe not the smallest one, but not the biggest one either. Thanks, PaperPrincess!