Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Advice >

Looking for Advice

Looking for Advice

Old 10-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

If it's hand made items than start on etsy or similar site. If she is wanting to start a craft supply business, does she want a storefront or a warehouse she ships from? Need more info.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 AM

Tell her she will need at least 2 yrs of money available to live on while getting going. That is the least it takes.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Look for some marketing classes (often free); some Chambers of Commerce have info on these. Also check the community college or the small business assoc.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:41 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Beyond the website.....which I am going to assume she has thought about a lot.....I urge her to quickly get in contact with http://www.fabshopnet.com/ which is a trade association for fabric shop owners. (More than what most of us know as FabShopHop) Laurie Harsh is a wonder; she began this business in the late 1990s and has saved, encouraged, taught, trained, and demanded the best from many owners who are still going strong. It may be the best, fastest help your daughter can get.

Good luck to her! There's nothing like following your passion and having it come to profitable fruition!

Jan in VA
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 PM

The best advice I ever heard and read was from Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks: "Never follow your dreams. Follow your effort."
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Speaking from experience... setting up a *serious* store online is way harder, and much more expensive, than one might think.

If she doesn't have a lot of time on her hands, she might want to think twice about it. Beyond the initial time spent setting things up, you have to continually maintain it. When I first began selling online, I was very dismayed to find that I was spending at least 5 hours a week just answering e-mails, most of which did NOT result in any sales.

Has she thought it all through, and "crunched the numbers"? If she sets up her own website, there is an ongoing cost to host the site, plus she will have to buy an e-commerce solution (shopping cart) and if she is not tech-savvy she will have to pay someone to set it up for her. Does she realize that she will lose 3.5% - 4% off the top of all sales, to credit card or PayPal fees? Has she figured out what it will cost her to ship her goods? Does she realize that if a package gets lost enroute, she will have to replace it at her own expense?

Does she know that even if she builds a WONDERFUL website, it's very hard to get found on the crowded web? The very nature of search has changed a lot over the past year. If you do a search at Google now (for a product), 60% of the screen space is devoted to paid ads, both at the top and the right hand side. Is she ready and willing to "pay to play", to get listed among those ads? Can she compete with the advertisers with deeper pockets? Can she get her site found at all, if she doesn't pay to play?

Etsy and E-Bay might be expensive, but some of those fees they charge go toward ads that will appear on Google and other search engines. Just some things to keep in mind...