Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Amish/Menninite country >

Looking for Amish/Menninite country

Looking for Amish/Menninite country

Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 AM

Shipshewana and Berlin are two of my favorite places. Keep in mind that most if not all of the shops are not open on Sunday's. They both have very nice second hand shops, restaurants, and quilt shops. Have a good time and visit as many places as possible. Wish I was going.
Sue
Old 10-18-2016, 02:05 PM

Can't tell you about the quilt shops, but I loved the Museums at Wright Patterson. We especially enjoyed the hanger with the Presidential planes in it. Hope you have fun!
Susan
Old 10-18-2016, 02:51 PM

Shipshewana is awesome!! Bring you walking shoes for the Air Force Museum - it is knock down AWESOME!!!!! and some friends of mine have actually spent 2 days there if wanting to see everything! The hangar w/ JFKs plane is just so cool.

As I have lived here in Dayton, I have come to realize just how important Wright Patt is to the military of this company. If you time while you're in Dayton, another awesome place to visit is Carillon Park just south of the Downtown area. It is near University of Dayton and it covers the history of Dayton, Wright Bros, NCR, GM, and all the things that went on in Dayton during WWII.

Carillon Park does have an admission to it, but it is well worth it.

https://www.daytonhistory.org/visit/...storical-park/
Old 10-18-2016, 03:28 PM

I live in Indiana and would rather go to Holmes County. Berlin is the town. If your hubby is with you, take him to the lumber yard in Charm, OH about 5 miles away. He will enjoy it and you might also. Close to Millers.

In Kidron, OH is Lehman's which he will love also. These all are pretty close together.

Be sure and stop in at Country Craft Cupboard in Berlin. Karen Lamp has some great patterns and kits. It is across the street from another fabric shop and down the road from Zincks (a crazy!! discount sewing place) and Granny Fannys, another fabric store.

Columbus also has a bunch of good quilting stores and is on the way to Dayton.

A good hotel is the Inn at Walnut Creek. Check them for dog policy. Walking distance to several very good restaurants and just down the road from Berlin.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:58 PM

sweetana3, did you know there is a Zincks in Ligonier IN now? It opened about 2 years ago.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:30 PM

Another nice shop in Holmes Cty, is Somewhere Sewing, County Rd 320 in Millersburg. They are open wed-sat. I was there last week. Great time!
Old 10-18-2016, 06:05 PM

Arthur, Illinois is a unique town. Horse and buggy and great shops. It is kind of between Champaign and Springfield, do not remember the Illinois route #s, however should be easy to find. When we lived in Bloomington, IL we would drive east for the day. Enjoy your trip

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 10-19-2016, 02:38 AM

Lucky me, for a change. I was raised in the high mountain wilderness of California and was never near anything. Now I live ELEVEN miles from Shipshewana. The lure of Lolly's, Yoder's Dept. store, the new place in Ligonier that is a Zinck's, and all the other little local quilt shops (and there has to be 15 or more), that lure is more than I can resist. Then there is Calico Point west of Goshen. Topeka is 75% Amish and full of hand quilters. Then there is Ben Bontrager's quilt auction twice a year which is a must attend event. The 1st Dibs auction is now at the Elkhart Co. fairgrounds and that is the Sat. after Thanksgiving. Essenhaus, Blue Gate and the Coppertop for great food. Private mail me if you want more info. I've lived here for 25 years now. I thought I would want to travel when I retired, but I just want to stay here.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I like Shipshewana in northern Indiana. They have lots of restaurants, an Amish cheese factory, Lolly's quilt store and Yoder's department store which has a large fabric selection. Here is tourism link http://visitshipshewana.org/
I like the Cotton Corner in Shipshewana as well. (located in the corner of the strip mall behind Yoders).
Old 10-19-2016, 04:05 AM

Idont know about quilt shop or Amish business but I can tell you the Air Museum is fantastic! You may not have too much time to go anywhere else at least not that day as it is large and fun to spend time there. Have fun!