Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking to buy new sewing machine..need some suggestions >

Looking to buy new sewing machine..need some suggestions

Looking to buy new sewing machine..need some suggestions

Old 12-25-2010, 09:10 PM

I absolutely love my 6600P Janome. It has so many decorative stitches, but is not an embroidery machine. There is a yahoo group for the 6500/6000 and another group for the new 7700. They will answer your questions and their knowledge will help you know what to look for when you test drive the machine at the dealership. An excellent dealer is so important. The 6600 has a built in walking foot, adjustable needle which makes 1/4" or scant 1/4" so easy. I have never had an issue with my machine that my dealer couldn't respond to with a positive result. I love the 6600, and heard used machines are about $600, now. If I could afford the 7700 I would get it for the larger throat and better lighting.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:32 PM

I love my Janome machines! I have the MC10001 and the MC11000 as well as a Janome serger and the Janome sew mini for my grandchildren to use. All are made well and are a dream to sew with. Both the 10001 and the 11000 are embroidery machines as well as sewing machines. The MC9500 or the MC9700 are combination sewing and embroidery and are probably closer to the price range you are talking about. However, it is important to have a good dealer and that should be your determining factor. I know people who love their brother machines also but the ones sold by the dealers are much better quality that the ones from Walmart. I have tried sewing on one of those and it is not fun! Most people who are happy with their brothers did not get them from Walmart.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:30 PM

I have the Janome Marie Osmond Quilter's Companion. I don't quilt on it (I have a longarm), but I love the way it pieces AND has enough embroidery on it that I can make my own labels. The instructions are quite easy to understand...except for the directions on how to thread the needle with the needle threader! I really like the consistent stitches. I did have to buy the 1/4" foot separately but it was less then $15.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 AM

Bernina sewing machines get my vote. I have two.
I have the 180E machine set up for embroidery, always get great embroidery with this machine.
I bought a used 150 virtuosa for piecing and am totally pleased with the machine.
Sew on different machines, and see which one you like the best.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:26 AM

I would go with a Viking or Janome, both are good machines. But, it depends on your budget and what you will use the machine for mainly.
Happy shopping.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 AM

I read all the comments as I also am looking to purchase a new machine.
I am considering the Babylock Quest Plus, have no interest in embroidery, and a free arm is a Must. The autocut is nice I have it on another machine but it is not a must have. Needle up and down is a Must and variable speed is a plus, although I don't use it often.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:58 AM

Used machine a good option. Try it out first.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Three years ago, I bought a Bernina QE 440. I have always admired the Bernina machines, particularly when it comes to perfect and consistent stitches. I grew up using my mother's Viking "Huskvarna" (might not have spelled that correctly), which is still a dynamite machine to this day (great stitches and great local store, also). And, she has used it non-stop for 40 years. I sewed on an older Singer, which is still just fine, but limited to the basics. I was walking through the Bernina store, because it is right next to a very nice fabric store that I was in. (I had bought a Bernina Serger at this store about 5-6 years earlier on sale, and found it easy to use and have had no regrets about my choice back then). I had my husband with me. He saw me admiring the machines, and being the very "hands on and tool oriented" person that he is,,,,,he suggested that I try some of them out. This Bernina Shop is EXCELLENT in every aspect of their business. Staff is knowledgable, accessable, and friendly. Someone came right up, and didn't treat my husband like the invisible extra baggage. I asked sewing questions and he asked mechanical questions. After they asked me certain questions, I was steered to an area with several price ranges of Bernina's and also the Babylock Machines. I was not looking for the embroidery machines. I was not pressured about buying, but was encouraged to try them out. The sales person AND the repair person (who is an owner, also. H & W team), was able to give a lot of input, even though there were many customers in the store that he was helping at the same time. I kept coming back to the QE 440. It did exactly what I wanted in a machine. Plus, it did quite a bit more. I did not need the embroidery module, but it came with tons of fancy stitches already. It happened that they had just gotten a trade in from a lady who upgraded to a new embroidery machine. Perfect condition. Several extra's, including the BSR attachment for the free motion, and the Walking Foot. $2,000. I had no intention of buying a machine that day. Had not even set out looking for one. After a couple of hours in the store, I stepped outside with my husband. He told me to go back in and buy it before someone else did. He is NOT, and I will emphasize, NOT a compulsive buyer. He DOES know quality and prices. I was still hesitant, but it was calling to me and without verbalizing it to him, I wanted it bad. You guessed it. I bought it right then, and have been incredibly happy with it ever since. This machine makes me want to sew more and more. It is that much fun. I will add though, that even though I have sewed most of my life and am very picky, I still signed up for their class on how to operate the machine, BEFORE even taking it home. I highly recommend this to to ALL who buy a new machine (I did this with the Serger, also). It got me going very quickly, and they even throw in some tips and tricks that were new to me. It was a very thorough overview of the entire machine, and all of the attachments that came with it. I could go on, and on, but I think you get the point. I am a totally satisfied customer. I got an excellent machine, for a very good price, and I was immediately happy and comfortable with it because of the in-store support and classes, which were included. I'm lucky to live near such a good store (They have been in business for many years here). I also, know that, whenever I have a question, there is someone there that can help me. This is the one MAJOR thing that you do NOT get when you buy the very INEXPENSIVE brands from the Big Box Stores. The store I bought mine from knows that if their customers love sewing and are matched to the right machine that works well for them (business or pleasure/hobby), they will be repeat customers. They also know that if their customers find their machines frustrating, they will either hate sewing, and give it up, or find another machine/store. If I am allowed to mention the name/location of this store on this board, I would love to. But, I don't want to violate board rules. Let me know, because this is one of those special small businesses that really deserves to be recognized. Best advice, I can give is to find a store that will work with you in the future, as well as, point of sale. Even if you have to drive an hour or so to get there. Try the machines. Don't be pressured. And, Good Luck. Hope you find the right machine for you.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Great Bernina story. If I found a QE 440 for that price, I'd buy it too! And xtras to boot! I do like the big throat on my Quest Plus, though. These days, clearly any model can have lemons out there. So an honest, caring dealer is crucial. But my BLQP works great with no problems. Easy to learn and tons of fun. Pretty to look at, all white and silver. Surely a BLQP could be had new for $1000, used for less.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 AM

I highly recommend the Janome 6600 which you should be able to purchase new to be in your price range. It has the built-in walking foot (called AccuFeed), you can program stitches, it comes with a quilting platform, it has lots and lots of decorative stitching, has lettering, and a knee lift so you can keep both hands on your quilting, but still move the sewing item without letting go of it. I also make lots of bags, and it has absolutely no trouble with heavy duty sewing.
I also have the Janome 7700 and it will do everything the 6600 does, has more decorative stitches, enhanced AccuFeed system and 3 stitches designed specifically for freemotion quilting that convert the normal sewing machine to a quilting machine. It's a bit more than your limit, but this month, Janome was including a sewing table, quilting platform, another lightweight machine, and a thread collection (may be missing something because the deal was really great! wished I'd waited to buy it when the deal came out.)
A great thing about the Janome machines - they usually come with most of the feet we all have to have - and the ones we do buy are usually about half the cost of Bernina or Brother machines.