Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for grip tape for rulers

Looking for grip tape for rulers

Last year at a quilt show I purchased a roll of grip tape to apply to my quilt rulers to make them nonslip. I love the results! Unfortunately, I did not save the wrapper🙄 and I donít remember the vendor I purchased it from! I have searched online but I havenít found it. It is a thick tape, about 1/16Ē thick, seems like a clear rubber product, 1Ē wide and comes on a roll of maybe a yard or so. Does anyone know the name of it, or where I can purchase more?

I've seen the grip strips but not on a roll. I have used NexCare flexible clear medical tape on my older rulers and machine rulers and it works fine. It doesn't interfere with the markings.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

JoAnn's sell this tape. Not sure if it's what you used & I've never tried it but the reviews are good except for one.
    https://www.joann.com/omnigrid-invis...iABEgJayvD_BwE

I've used the Invisigrip osewme gave you a link to. I really like it.
    Sally

Invisigrip doesn't come on a roll like tape. All I have seen is a 12 1/2" by 36" roll.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    JoAnn's sell this tape. Not sure if it's what you used & I've never tried it but the reviews are good except for one.
    https://www.joann.com/omnigrid-invis...iABEgJayvD_BwE
    I've use this and it does help to some extent, but I've recently tried the Grippy Spray Adhesive and have removed most of the Invisigrip and have switched to the spray. The spray coating is similar to the grip on Quilters Select rulers.
    https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...xoCoMQQAvD_BwE
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
    I've use this and it does help to some extent, but I've recently tried the Grippy Spray Adhesive and have removed most of the Invisigrip and have switched to the spray. The spray coating is similar to the grip on Quilters Select rulers.
    LOL I just ordered some this morning along with the Daily Deal. (which is a great deal today) I wanted to try the Gripper spray so waited until the deal was something I wanted and today was the day. I have several square rulers over the size of 14" and they do not have enough traction on the back. I didn't want to use tape on these large sizes.

I use either the NexCare clear plastic medical tape (available at big box stores and pharmacies and is cheap). I am very happy with the results. If I need a super grip, I use small pieces of sticky back sandpaper (hardware stores) in a fairly aggressive grit (60 or 80 grit). I am not one for specialized quilt gizmos and gadgets as I am on a fairly limited budget.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I like the NexCare tape for rulers too. I have used rulers with the Grippy spray on the back and it does work great. I also ordered the daily deal today at MSQC along with the other items in my cart just waiting for the right deal to pay one shipping cost. LOL

That Grippy spray is the bomb! Game changer!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I have used the Invisagrip, which works great, but for rulers that I infrequently use, I keep a can of old fashion Rubber Cement in the sewing room. A quick coating on the back is fantastic once it is dry and if it gets yucky looking with threads stuck to it, peels off easily leaving the ruler unharmed.

Never heard of the "Grippy Spray" - Might have to look into that!!
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I use the Nex Care clear medical tape works great

How long does the Grippy spray last? Do you spray in the house? Some of the aerosol sprays have an awful smell.

In another recent thread someone suggested using rubber cement. I really like that idea because you can rub it off if you don't want -- so I could just grip the part I want to grip.

One of the ladies in my quilting group is big on gripping rulers. She has used the spray and likes the tape better.

For me, sometimes I want the slide and sometimes I want the grip and I don't want two of the same sized rulers, so I'm thinking rubber cement may be the way to go.

Clear skateboard tape is another possibility:

https://www.amazon.com/ZUEXT-Skatebo...gateway&sr=8-9

My DH uses clear spray paint with grip on his metal rulers in his shop. It isn't sticky so pieces of wood and dust do not stick to it. I may try it on one of my older rulers and see how it works for fabric.

The NexCare tape turned sticky after a few months. Worked well before that.

Z
    Blog Entries
    I have never used it but Bloc-Loc sells a tape like that.

Quote Originally Posted by betthequilter View Post
    How long does the Grippy spray last? Do you spray in the house? Some of the aerosol sprays have an awful smell.
    I only started using it in the last month or so, but according to the can it should stay until you clean it off. I used it inside and I didn't find the scent terrible but I think as long as you are in a fairly open area you are ok. If you are sensitive to smells just use it outside. I put my rulers on a large piece of paper (newspaper would work) and the directions say to spray from about 8". It dries in a minute and you can start using it right away. You can add a second layer of spray if you want...I've just used one and it dries almost clear. If you have other quilting friends you might just share a can...I think it will go a long way.
    Sue

I also use the clear skateboard tape. Works great and reasonably priced

I recently purchased TrueGrips non-slip adhesive rings from a local quilt shop. They are made by The Grace Company.
    www.graceframe.com. They are clear and a little larger than a dime. There is a very small circle cut in the center making it so that there are 15 small ones and 15 large ones in the package. I have not used them yet but thought I would pass along the information. I did see a demo at the quilt shop. They seem to work well.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tape

Quote Originally Posted by Nanachar View Post
    Last year at a quilt show I purchased a roll of grip tape to apply to my quilt rulers to make them nonslip. I love the results! Unfortunately, I did not save the wrapper🙄 and I donít remember the vendor I purchased it from! I have searched online but I havenít found it. It is a thick tape, about 1/16Ē thick, seems like a clear rubber product, 1Ē wide and comes on a roll of maybe a yard or so. Does anyone know the name of it, or where I can purchase more?
    Clear medical tape
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White. Many many more.
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter Day-by-Day View Post
    Clear medical tape
    I don't think vendors will sell medical tape at a quilt show. I have never seen one that sold items other then name brand quilt products.

I have tried it all. I like the medical tape the best.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
    In another recent thread someone suggested using rubber cement. I really like that idea because you can rub it off if you don't want -- so I could just grip the part I want to grip.

One of the ladies in my quilting group is big on gripping rulers. She has used the spray and likes the tape better.

For me, sometimes I want the slide and sometimes I want the grip and I don't want two of the same sized rulers, so I'm thinking rubber cement may be the way to go.
    Iceblossom - It is a great and cheap solution. I have some Invisagrip but I have used the Rubber Cement for years - but it is not easily available outside the US so I am told.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast