Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for info on NECKTIE QUILT >

Looking for info on NECKTIE QUILT

Looking for info on NECKTIE QUILT

Old 10-06-2014, 05:21 AM

Default Looking for info on NECKTIE QUILT

Hello Everyone, I went to a Goodwill Warehouse with a friend after work just to see what it was all about. Mostly it was a mess LOL and by the time we got there after work, it was very picked over. BUT I walked by a bin and there was a large pile of men's neckties. I have always heard of people making quilts out of neckties. SO I scooped them up. It's only 99 cents a lb so they didn't cost much at all. Now, I need to know how to make the quilt? I thought I just took them apart and sewed one little end to the next one big end. However this doesn't work because then the center is skinny. LOLLOL Also, can I wash these ties in cold water on delicate cycle and air dry them in the dryer? Most are dry clean silk ties, a few are polyester or rayon but most are silk, and I can't afford to dry clean 95 ties. LOL So any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have to say some of these ties are very beautiful. I will go once in awhile and scout for more ties, but they said they change out their bins 3 times a day so it's hit and miss to find things. Not sure how many it will take to make a quilt, but it is very cheap way to make a nice quilt. :-) Thank you so much in advance for any help or suggestions. Rachel
Old 10-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I like the Dresden Plate pattern done with ties. It uses the ties shape for the circles that are then appliquéd (sewn onto) a background square. Ties are all cut on the bias so the fabric will stretch unless you add a stabilizer to the back. If you put "Tie Quilt" into the QB search box, some examples should come up to look at.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 AM

I would launder them exactly like you intend to launder the finished quilt, keep and use the ones that launder well and not use the ones that don't (at least for the quilt). Google neck tie quilt there are tons of ideas ranging from keeping the ties whole (no cutting at all) to using as fabric and cutting so you do not see the "tie" at all.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Any strip quilting pattern will work.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 AM

I recently posted a necktie quilt I made. I tossed all of the ties in the washer and washed on gentle,low with a tsp of dawn dish soap in addition to laundry detergent. Then,ran in dryer on permanent press. Then cut apart and pressed onto a very light weight pellon stabilizer.
I made grandmothers fan blocks...machine appliquéd to background with invisible thread. My quilt group is making a sampler quilt from ties..rail fence,sun bonnet Sue, almost any pieced block works. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Huntannette did a tutorial a while back on them. I would pm her to see what she did.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 AM

This one is my favorite. I haven't finished mine yet.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t22667.html
Old 10-06-2014, 08:37 AM

I have washed ties both ways and IMHO it is much easier to deal with the ties when they have been washed before you take them apart. The ties really turn into a tangled mess if you wash them after you've taken them apart. Watch for the 40% off coupons from JoAnns or Hobby Lobby because it will take lots of yardage to stabilize all those ties. And buy the lightest weight stabilizer you can find. I can't wait to see what you do with all those ties. I also saw somewhere how they took a square of silk tie fabric and tied it around an egg, dipped it boiling water, maybe boiled the eggs, let them cool and the dye from the silk tie transferred to the egg. The picture of the fabric, as I remember it, didn't look any different from when they began to when they were finished dying the egg. I'm sure you could google this to find the whole process if you're interested. They were beautiful!
Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
This one is my favorite. I haven't finished mine yet.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...lt-t22667.html
Your quilt is beautiful!!! I love it. Can you tell us how large your blocks are and how many ties did this take?

Just reread the post and I see that is your favorite and that yours is not finished yet.LOL Oh well, it is still a beautiful quilt, and I still love it, and I can't wait for you to show us yours.

Last edited by dottie dodge; 10-06-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Here's a Fons/Porter tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gMr0tPvmBk

Just showing it as an example. I won't be making it-it seemed like there was a lot of waste of "valuable" tie silk to me.

I would think you can gently hand wash the silk ones. You don't really care if the TIE's stabilizer is weakened, you are going to dismantle it anyway.

I have silk blouses that I launder carefully.

The FTC (or whoever governs garment marking ) only allows ONE type of cleaning method on a garment. So if it says dry clean only, dry clean only. But if it says dry clean, it is possible (take care & test first) to launder. I know my rayon garments all say dry clean, but home launder just fine.

I love the fan tie quilt linked above!