Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: looking for the names of these patterns

looking for the names of these patterns

Hi y'all!

I'm having a hard time remembering the names of these patterns. Can anyone help? (I'm not even sure the last one is a formal pattern...)
    Thanks!
    Name:  3377768440963172_ibhFWlLS_b.jpg
Views: 2712
Size:  37.7 KBName:  34973334575926103_SRLMLkSx_b.jpg
Views: 2734
Size:  26.4 KBName:  214976582182596220_hwyksZLR_b.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  29.6 KBName:  270778996315501660_Cxf86Dc2_b.jpg
Views: 2713
Size:  34.6 KB

Alison
    Last edited by alisonquilts; 01-05-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: pictures didn't load properly the first time

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I'm no help with names of those patterns; just wanted to say nice job on all the quilts.
    Mavis

Oh, they aren't mine! I'm just trying to find the patterns in case I want to make one! All are photos off the internet...

Alison

I don't know the name of the pattern, but I can tell you how the first one is done. All you do is cut squares twice: once horizontally, and once vertically, on varying slants without measuring anything. Then add strips your chosen width and reassemble into a square. They are probably all squared up again before sewing together.
    The quilt in the fourth pic is done the same way, but with only one cut into the square, and using pieced strips added inbetween the two halves of the square. The added pieced strips would turn the squares into rectangles, and in the pic they are all squares again, so they must be cut down into squares again before sewing them all together.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    I don't know the name of the pattern, but I can tell you how the first one is done. All you do is cut squares twice: once horizontally, and once vertically, on varying slants without measuring anything. Then add strips your chosen width and reassemble into a square. They are probably all squared up again before sewing together.
    The quilt in the fourth pic is done the same way, but with only one cut into the square, and using pieced strips added inbetween the two halves of the square. The added pieced strips would turn the squares into rectangles, and in the pic they are all squares again, so they must be cut down into squares again before sewing them all together.
    Thanks! They make sense when you know how they are assembled. And unless I can see the order of seams I can never figure these things out from pictures...

Alison

I don't know the names, but they sure are cute modern quilts.

Banned
    They look like quilts from one of the Modern Quilting books.

The grey one is just a center with a border around it. Sashing between blocks matches the border of the row below. So the light grey borders, gets a dark grey sashing. Maybe they used a charm pack for the centers. The one top right has two blocks. This one, again, has one with a center and a border (solid looking bright with white borders). The other block looks like a Bright Hopes block. That block has another name that eludes me at the moment. Here is a link for a short Bright Hopes Tutorial. I have no affiliation with this site.

http://www.ideas-for-quilting.com/br...uiltblock.html
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Lets see if this works so far so good. This is the same pattern as no 1 quilt with slightly different 9 block to begin.
    Enjoy. The triangle shapes cut off were joined to make outer border. Very fiddley. I used the same square for cutting the 9patch up. But some went right slope others went left slope.
    Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Finished is better than a UFO

Blue Underground

Has wonderful patterns similar to these. The one in the second row is similar to their Crossroads pattern from their book, Colorful Quilts. I'm finishing that one for my son. Go to their web page, www.blueundergroundstudios.com. Something tells me you'll love it.

The first one, called 'Happy Camper Wonky Cross', was made by a blogger named Emily who used Elizabeth Hartman's tutorial on making Wonky Cross blocks. Elizbeth Hartman is of Oh! Fransson fame and the tute is on Sew, Mama, Sew!
    http://mleknits.blogspot.com/2012/02...oss-quilt.html
    http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/04/...ock-sew-along/

The second one was made by Katie Pedersen, co-author of Quilting Modern and member of the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild. The quilt was posted on both her personal and guild Flickr accounts.

The third one, called 'Dash-Dot', was made by a blogger named Flekka. She does not give attribution to any pattern, but the blocks are a Bright Hopes variation (there are no tails in a true BH block) and Square in a Square. Bright Hopes is also known as Twist.
    http://www.flekka.com/words/quilt/dash-dot/

The fourth one is an original design by Amy Hodge, an upcoming designer. It was her first design and is called 'What's Mine is Yours'. There is no pattern yet, but it is very specificly copyright protected (both photo and design).
    http://www.amyalamode.com/blog/2010/...-giveaway-day/

Modern quilts are frequently 'patternless' as the whole point for many modern quilters is to be improvisational.

Quilt information is generally available on the websites where photos are originally located. It makes perfect sense, if you're going to copy other people's photos to your own computer, to set up a system so you get that info (or at a minimum the web address) when you first make the copy. It's as simple as referencing the site as part of your saved file name.
    Last edited by ghostrider; 01-07-2013 at 05:40 AM.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    Lets see if this works so far so good. This is the same pattern as no 1 quilt with slightly different 9 block to begin.
    Enjoy. The triangle shapes cut off were joined to make outer border. Very fiddley. I used the same square for cutting the 9patch up. But some went right slope others went left slope.
    Enjoy.
    These quilts look like they were made with an "X" ruler. A lady in our club was making lots of these and had several sizes of the rulers. She offered tutorials, but it seems no one else wanted to make one.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

The second quilt is simply two strips sets - one dark-light-dark and the other light-dark-light. The squares are bordered top and bottom with either dark or light.
    Name:  SquareStripsPattern.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  24.1 KB

It looks like Warm Wishes

I only know the first one is called "wonky....something...." The 3rd one just looks so different as it's made with striped material around the edges but I've made a similar top with the same pattern, just different scraps of material for the eges, it's an easy one and quickly done (although mine is still not finished.... but will be done this year, I'll post a picture). Good luck and I hope someone can help you with names.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elfi
    Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds....you can grow flowers or you can grow weeds!!!

The gray one looks like chained link by Amy Smart
    http://amysmart.bigcartel.com/produc...lt-pdf-pattern

Some of those are Modern Blocks by Elizabeth Hartmann:

http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/directory.html

Thanks for all of the responses! My internet connection has been down for days so I am only just seeing them now.

I have a customer who sent me these photos (and a ton more) to give me a sense of what she likes before I designed a quilt for her. I have no intention of using any of these patterns as they stand - but I wanted to know the names in case I ended up using a block as part of my quilt for her, because I am terrified of the whole copyright infringement issue. (As it turns out I won't be using any of the blocks.)

Ghostrider, your knowledge of quilt sites and sources is truly awesome, and thank you for the idea of saving the site name in the download name. I usually just bookmark whatever site I like, but I will pass your suggestion on to any future clients who will be prowling the web for ideas!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Alison