Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Looking For An Ocean Themed Baby Quilt

  1. #1
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    I'm looking for an ocean themed baby quilt. I was thinking of doing a small "Surf Song" bargello but I've done one of those before. I wanted to try something new and exciting. Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Super Member raedar63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,045
    Attic window aquarium?

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    Here is one called 'Dance of the Sea Turtles'. Even if you don't use the kit, you might get some ideas from it.

    http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bi...&lastmenu=subm

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,226
    If you have ocean-themed fabric, another idea is a kind of enlarged 9-patch, where the center piece is rectangular, similar to a panel, the corners are square (not small), and the other four side pieces are smaller rectangular pieces that fill in the connecting spaces between the corners. Does that make sense?

  5. #5
    Super Member Jennifer22206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    4,775
    Blog Entries
    4
    What about a Warm Wishes style quilt with fish or ocean fabric?

    Or, a big panel and borders?

  6. #6
    Senior Member BeckyL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    954
    There is a pattern called "Fish Stix" that I think is really cute. I made it for my Great-Niece. I will try to attach a picture of the finished quilt.

    Front
    Name:  Attachment-217701.jpe
Views: 1377
Size:  99.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images


  7. #7
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    42,505
    Blog Entries
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Here is one called 'Dance of the Sea Turtles'. Even if you don't use the kit, you might get some ideas from it.

    http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bi...&lastmenu=subm
    that's a pretty quilt!

  8. #8
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Here is one called 'Dance of the Sea Turtles'. Even if you don't use the kit, you might get some ideas from it.

    http://www.stitch-n-frame.net/cgi-bi...&lastmenu=subm
    that's a pretty quilt!
    That is a very pretty quilt! I downloaded the free pattern. I looked for the kit but it's pretty pricey and still missing some of the fabric! But, thankfully, I have some fish fabrics so I'm thinking I'm going to use my own stash to build it out. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Junior Member Quiltgirl26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    240
    I just bought this kit from my LQS this weekend. My 8 month old loved the colors!

    http://www.benartex.com/uploads/Imag...nderthesea.pdf

  10. #10
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Oh, that is soo cute!

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    choctaw oklahoma
    Posts
    278
    are you more into piecing or into quilting? when i made my first quilt, and i knew nothing about quilting, i pieced simple squares. i kept the backing a bright blue solid and then drew so ideas on tissue paper and started stitching. ocean was the theme and i stitched sea grasses, little schools of fish, bigger, puffier fish, air bubbles, sea turtles and waves. my grandson loves it and i'm most proud of the hand quilting.

  12. #12
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by laurac
    are you more into piecing or into quilting? when i made my first quilt, and i knew nothing about quilting, i pieced simple squares. i kept the backing a bright blue solid and then drew so ideas on tissue paper and started stitching. ocean was the theme and i stitched sea grasses, little schools of fish, bigger, puffier fish, air bubbles, sea turtles and waves. my grandson loves it and i'm most proud of the hand quilting.
    I haven't hand quilted yet. I like to piece and to quilt. I think I might make the "Under The Sea" quilt so I can make more time for some other fun projects this summer. I homeschool so summers are my real quilting times and I like to get a lot of tops done and quilted so that I can hand stitch the binding during the school year.

  13. #13
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Here it is! I decided to use the pattern for the "Under The Sea" Quilt but I used different fabrics that I already had on hand. It took only 4 hours to complete the top! And another 4 to quilt it! The shower is this Sunday so I'm very pleased with how fast it went together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    Super Member Greenheron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Briery Mountain in WV
    Posts
    2,619
    Purchase the picture book Swimmy by Leo Lionni.
    It has fabulous illustrations of a dreamy, undersea world and powerful story of small creatures working together to defeat danger. The pictures could easily be translated into simple applique, either one scene or several. Lovely pale blue batik for the background, even pebble print for the ocean floor. Since this would be personal use, I don't believe there would be any copyright issue. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Google Swimmy to check out the art.

    I would present the quilt and book together, of course, the old Kindergarten teacher pushing early literacy. :wink:

    a page from Swimmy
    Name:  Attachment-236725.jpe
Views: 240
Size:  6.5 KB

  15. #15
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    Purchase the picture book Swimmy by Leo Lionni.
    It has fabulous illustrations of a dreamy, undersea world and powerful story of small creatures working together to defeat danger. The pictures could easily be translated into simple applique, either one scene or several. Lovely pale blue batik for the background, even pebble print for the ocean floor. Since this would be personal use, I don't believe there would be any copyright issue. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Google Swimmy to check out the art.

    I would present the quilt and book together, of course, the old Kindergarten teacher pushing early literacy. :wink:
    :lol: Push away! I'm a homeschooling mom and was always trying to find new ways to get my oldest to love reading. Then, she got old enough for chapter books and needed no further prodding. I did already make the quilt and posted pics on here (scroll up) but I'll keep this in mind for the next one. Thanks!

  16. #16
    Super Member Greenheron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Briery Mountain in WV
    Posts
    2,619
    To ps150: That's a gorgeous, hot, tropical quilt.

  17. #17
    Super Member Ps 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,409
    Thanks!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.