Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Pattern--2017 NY Beauty pattern >

Looking for Pattern--2017 NY Beauty pattern

Looking for Pattern--2017 NY Beauty pattern

Old 06-13-2022, 05:23 AM

Default Looking for Pattern--2017 NY Beauty pattern

Hello everyone,

I was helping someone with her NY Beauty block assembly (which I love making) and was googling older NY Beauty patterns. I found one that I really liked and would be perfect with my scraps. Problem is that the pattern link is not working. It was a free pattern on a site called:

Friday Free Quilt Patterns: New New York Beauty | McCall’s Quilting Blog

From the website Quilting Daily. I will include the link: https://www.quiltingdaily.com/friday...quilting-blog/

I would really like to make this quilt. I can use one of my NY Beauty center designs, and try to figure it out, but I would really like the entire pattern with block sizes so that finished it comes close to the size it says of 84 1/2 x 88 1/2. Does anyone by chance have this free pattern and would be willing to share it with me. Or does someone know where I can get it online other then from this website which the link does not work for anymore?

Thank you

Here is what the quilt looks like:
Attached Thumbnails screenshot-2022-06-04-8.10.09-pm.png  
Old 06-13-2022, 05:53 AM

Looks like that post was back in 2017 so it may not be available now. You could try scrolling down to the area that says "Have a technical question" & try contacting them to see if they could help you. Also, it appears as though Quilting Daily has a facebook page that you might could go to for more information (if you do facebook). Sorry, I can't seem to be of any more help.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:59 AM

It actually looks like it was put together with a type of Dresden design, with quarter dresdens and half dresdens on squares of a plain (bone or white) base fabric.
Old 06-13-2022, 11:05 AM

I studied the quilt for a few minutes. The quilt appears to be mostly square, it looks like the north and south sides have a tiny bit of extra fabric at the border, so I subtracted 4" from the measurements to make the quilt 84x84. Divide 84 by 12 (the number of Drunkard's Path/NYB blocks in a row) and you get your block size of 7 inches.

Hopefully you can take it from there.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:52 PM

That would be super easy to do.....Let me try to find a pattern....

OK...I'm back......This is a free pattern and it only has five spikes, not six, so it would look slightly different, but it is really all in the placement to make the quilt that you like. I've used this lady's patterns before and they work out really well. I believe 4 of these will make an 8" block, so you will have to decide how big you want your quilt.
If you've never made a NYB before, there are some tips, so be sure to ask before you start!

Watson

Free NYB pattern

Last edited by Watson; 06-13-2022 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 05:05 PM
Gay

Have drawn this block up in EQ as 7" finished and hopefully you can open this pdf from the attachment. If not pm me to make other arrangements.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
my 7in nyb.pdf (32.7 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-14-2022, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I studied the quilt for a few minutes. The quilt appears to be mostly square, it looks like the north and south sides have a tiny bit of extra fabric at the border, so I subtracted 4" from the measurements to make the quilt 84x84. Divide 84 by 12 (the number of Drunkard's Path/NYB blocks in a row) and you get your block size of 7 inches.

Hopefully you can take it from there.

Thank you---I will see if I can get a block to come out at somewhere around that 7 inch size. I hadn't thought of breaking it down the way you did. Great idea and concept.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Have drawn this block up in EQ as 7" finished and hopefully you can open this pdf from the attachment. If not pm me to make other arrangements.
Thank you. Yes I could get the pdf, Thank you. I will see how it goes.
Old 06-14-2022, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
That would be super easy to do.....Let me try to find a pattern....

OK...I'm back......This is a free pattern and it only has five spikes, not six, so it would look slightly different, but it is really all in the placement to make the quilt that you like. I've used this lady's patterns before and they work out really well. I believe 4 of these will make an 8" block, so you will have to decide how big you want your quilt.
If you've never made a NYB before, there are some tips, so be sure to ask before you start!

Watson

Free NYB pattern
Thank you. I have made many NY Beauty projects, just not one as seen in the whole bed quilt. The amount of white is what is getting to me trying to figure out what the block size is and what added background fabric I need to add.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:32 PM
Gay

Am sorry all, but I made a boo-boo and my block didn't come out right, so here is the amended block. I didn't realize the error till I created the whole quilt. You would need 8 yds of background. If you do not want a square quilt, there is an additional 2" strip on the top and bottom. Hope this works out better.
After another look at the quilt on the website, their edges don't match up either.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
my 7in nyb.pdf (32.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Gay; 06-14-2022 at 03:36 PM.