Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a pattern for a door hanging >

Looking for a pattern for a door hanging

Looking for a pattern for a door hanging

Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 AM

My grandmother is going to be 90 soon and lives in an old folks apartment building. There is a lady there with alittle door hanging that is about 14in square and has seasonal "quilt blocks" that button on (about 8-10in square). Has anyone ever seen a pattern for these. My grandma would really like one but I cannot find anything like it.
Thanks,
stacey
Old 09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by acesgame
My grandmother is going to be 90 soon and lives in an old folks apartment building. There is a lady there with alittle door hanging that is about 14in square and has seasonal "quilt blocks" that button on (about 8-10in square). Has anyone ever seen a pattern for these. My grandma would really like one but I cannot find anything like it.
Thanks,
stacey
What a neat idea! I have never seen one, but I don't think it would be hard to make your own. There are so many sites now to choose block patterns from. I think this would be awesome! I don't really decorate my house anymore, but this would something fun, easy, and wouldn't take up too much storage space. I am not much help, but thanks for the great idea.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:35 AM

try this---cute

http://www.joinedatthehip.com/buttonups.html

There's also a book called MOTIF by Jeri Kelly that has really cute mini wall hangings and you can get it with a special hanger at Nancy's Notions, probably other places too. Really cute but not cheap. I also agree with Sadie Mae that you could design one very easily ---maybe even use a pre-quilted back that you just bind and make it a bit bigger than your other quilt blocks. You could even put on snaps if-- like me --you're challenged by buttonholes. That way her's wouldn't be just like the neighbors. I'll bet you could find an assortment of free patterns to applique or piece --a Christmas tree, a Valentine Heart, an Easter basket or bunny, May flowers, something patriotic, fall leaves or pumpkin, a birthday cake, etc, etc......Maybe I should make one for my granddaughter's room!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 AM

Are they wooden doors or metal doors? My front door is metal and all the trim came off so it's plain dark red. I make a hanging for every month. I make them table runner size and hang them with clips that have a magnet on the back. If the door is wooden, you could still use a table runner pattern and use loops at the top and a dowel rod.

This is so nice of you to do for her.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by acesgame
Thanks,
stacey
Hi Stacey, I have 18"x21" wall hangings of flowers that would be beautiful for her. They are raw edge applique. There are 16 different flowers to choose from:

http://store.overallquilter.com/
Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 AM

Nancy Halvorson has a couple of books out that are seasonal, quick fusing, and are finished either single or all together for a quilt. A friend of mine has made several of these for friends and are so cute. Might try her web site or your LQS for these books.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Banned

I made something similar, using free patterns from the internet. The base quilt is 16" x 25". The block for each month is a quilted and bound 8" square. I attach the calendar below by sewing buttons through the paper. Right now I just pin the blocks on when I rotate each month, but I want to get some velcro so I can switch them out easier.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113260.jpe  
Old 09-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

How about this posted by cmosey. Her blog has one for each month,
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-63145-1.htm