Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for pattern ideas >

Looking for pattern ideas

Looking for pattern ideas

Old 10-26-2017, 10:54 AM

Default Looking for pattern ideas

I desire to make my mother a quilt and she favors this type of pattern design found on Craftsy

https://www.craftsy.com/quilting/kit...ilt-kit/495186

Unfortunately, she needs a narrower twin sized (rectangular) quilt vs this 90"x 90" full/queen. I'm not experienced enough to figure out how to modify this and still maintain the bordered design.

Therefore, I'm searching for a pattern that might resemble some of the general features of this design in a twin size.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Christine
Old 10-26-2017, 12:00 PM

How good / creative are you at changing things around?

I see three options:

Buy it and then sew everything up (the squares, the middle, etc.) and buy extra white fabric and see how you can rearrange things to make it more narrow and longer before sewing it all together

Another option is to buy two of them LOL and have the center piece centered, and have a rectangular inner border, then the outer border.

Final option ... buy the pattern only, and adjust it to how you want to do it, and then buy your own fabric

If you have EQ you could design it (lots of us on here have it - I do) and could show you what it would look like.

I'd be willing to try and show you what it could look like if you gave me some ideas on how you would like the layout!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM

I played with it a bit on my EQ and came up with this ... it's missing the "middle border" but mainly because I'm not good enough in EQ yet to figure out how to make the middle squares smaller than the rest of them.

The blocks on this are 5x5, so if you made the middle "flowers" smaller, you could add the middle border around it.

Good luck

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583006[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
quilt.pdf (287.9 KB, 263 views)
Old 10-26-2017, 04:45 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions and reworking of the pattern! I don’t think I can buy just the pattern therefore I think I will pass on this all together.

Will keep searching for a replacement pattern but thank you for your generous help here! Maybe someday I will sharpen my skills and buy EQ so that I can design my own but for now I’m still riding on training wheels!

Thanks again and Happy Quilting!

Christine
Old 10-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Hi Christine, This pattern looks to me like it wouldn't be easy to make longer and narrower. But i'm not a designer so maybe I'm wrong!
Old 10-27-2017, 01:17 AM

That won't be easy to make rectangular because it's a medallion quilt that starts with a square in the center. You would have to start with a rectangle in the center, a long thin one, and add the borders to that. Not impossible to rework, but certainly not easy. Most medallion quilts are square, not sure why, when no bed I've ever seen is square.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:38 AM

I thought the same thing about the medallion - I don't think it's impossible but certainly "above my current pay grade" to figure out how to adjust from a square to a rectangular pattern and keep the relationship of borders similar. While I'm looking for other patterns I must admit I am tempted by the challenge to figure it out - must be my analytical/banking background

Will continue towards a solution - Christine

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
That won't be easy to make rectangular because it's a medallion quilt that starts with a square in the center. You would have to start with a rectangle in the center, a long thin one, and add the borders to that. Not impossible to rework, but certainly not easy. Most medallion quilts are square, not sure why, when no bed I've ever seen is square.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:04 AM

Yes, that works!! Good for you!
Old 10-27-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by TheMerkleFamily View Post
While I'm looking for other patterns I must admit I am tempted by the challenge to figure it out - must be my analytical/banking background

Will continue towards a solution - Christine
Ok, if you insist on reworking it, here's how I'd do it. Instead of one square in the center, stack up three or four of those squares (probably four) and use those as the starting point. That would give you a nice long center rectangle to begin with. The pinwheels that follow are simple. You wouldn't be able to buy the kit, though. You'd need so much more fabric than what a kit would have. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:36 AM

Google twin sized medallion quilts and see if anything comes up.