Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for this pattern. >

Looking for this pattern.

Looking for this pattern.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Looks to me like a snail trail block with fancy schmancy sashing & corner stones. The cornerstones are square in a square in a square. The sashing looks like a tri recs, but it's not. It's elongated, I'm thinking this needs to be paper pieced. The sashing is 1/3 the size of the block, so if you make a 12 inch snail, make 4" sashing and if you make a 9 inch snail, make a 3" sashing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473906[/ATTACH]
That makes sense - now I am getting nervous -I have never made either block - only paper-pieced once - however I am up for the challenge - just having a hard time figuring out where to start. It looks like your illustration - the most important part is the snail trail - then find a way to make the sashing fit. I do have a tri-recs ruler but have never used it. Oh boy, I really set myself up for a challenge.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:37 PM

If anyone is an EQ wiz - I would appreciate any help you could offer - perhaps we could trade something for help.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

A fabulous pattern and wonderful link. TFS
peace
Old 05-01-2014, 02:08 PM

The paper piece pattern is on the web link. Just keep scrolling the bottom, it's past the different "coloring sheets"
Old 05-01-2014, 02:37 PM

This wonderful combination is known as 'Hummer Storm'.
See My Patterns at: www.cherryblossoms-quiltingstudio.blogspot.com
she has the PP blocks there.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:36 PM

That's it greencat - but I agree that I need to make the blocks large or I could be here for the next year piecing these blocks...
Old 05-01-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
I made one like that, but mine was a miniature quilt. I just used the snails trail block for the centres with the storm at sea sashing. My snails trail block was 3" finished and the sashing was 1". If you are planning on making a full sized quilt I would definately look at a fairly big block as there are lots of pieces in this pattern. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t208253.html
I see Woody - that makes sense- omg - what was I thinking. I am hoping I can figure out how to make a 9 or 12" block. Eek...
Old 05-01-2014, 04:34 PM

Ok...I finally got my thick-head around the pattern on the generations website - now I just need to figure out how big it is then I can plan the size of the snail trails blocks. Thank you everyone for all your insight and suggestions.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=PaperPrincess;6699752]Looks to me like a snail trail block with fancy schmancy sashing & corner stones. ...................../QUOTE]

The fancy schmancy is called Storm-At-Sea ..... as explained on the link provided earlier, all they have done is switched out the traditional SIAS block for the Snail Trail to create this interesting design.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=QuiltE;6700021]
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Looks to me like a snail trail block with fancy schmancy sashing & corner stones. ...................../QUOTE]

The fancy schmancy is called Storm-At-Sea ..... as explained on the link provided earlier, all they have done is switched out the traditional SIAS block for the Snail Trail to create this interesting design.
That's what I originally thought, but if you look closely, the sashing portion is not two Tri-Recs patches. The proportions are different. The Tri recs finishes as an exact square, the same size as the square in square cornerstone. The storm at sea main block is twice as wide as the Square-in-square cornerstone block, so using tri-recs sashing works.
The quilt in the post has main blocks that are 3 times the width of the cornerstones, so if you tried to use 2 square Tri Recs patches, you would be short. Can't use the TR ruler because in addition to the blocks not being square, the angle is going to be different.