Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for patterns for bookshelf quilts >

Looking for patterns for bookshelf quilts

Looking for patterns for bookshelf quilts

Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beautiful Washington State
Posts: 843
Default

In March it is my turn to ask for Friendship Blocks from one of my quilt guilds.

I would like to have them all do a section of a bookshelf or bookcase. Using items such as books, planters, knick-knacks, etc.

I have been collecting pictures and ideas for a couple years.

Do any of you have (free or cheap!) pictures or patterns of book shelves or ideas you have done?

I need help with instructions for the blocks. Do I have them just do the blocks with a common background and then I put the "shelf" part on? Should the books be all the way to the front edge of the 'shelf' or back a bit? What about height and length? Help!!

I am sort of thinking of having them use selvedge edges for the book titles and using their own names for the authors? Or they can make up their own titles.

Doesn't that sound like fun?
:shock:
Corky is offline  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
SandraJennings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arizona....now.
Posts: 783
Default

Sounds like a great idea. Keeping a similar background could work, then again, any pictures you find of bookcases ( in real life) have shadings due to the angle of sun light. Perhaps giving them a 2" square of your "bookcase wood" would help them. Setting a minimum and maximum for book lengths might help too.This is like a mystery quilt. Cant wait to see what you end up with in your library.
SandraJennings is offline  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:33 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 396
Default

I made one several years ago and there is a book that explains how to do it. Sorry, I don't remember the title because I borrowed the book. The pictures might give you an idea on what to put on your shelves.

Mary

book shelf quilt
attachment-145267.jpe

candle sticks on library quilt
attachment-145268.jpe

vase on library quilt with flowers
attachment-145269.jpe
Queen is online now  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:48 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The middle of an IL cornfield
Posts: 7,014
Default

http://www.blockcentral.com/quiltblocks.shtml

It's on my to-do list, too! Here is a link to a pattern I'm thinking about.
Lisa_wanna_b_quilter is offline  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:49 PM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
nativetexan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: home again, after 27 yrs!
Posts: 19,386
Default

well there is a pattern on www.winnowing.com
Christine Thresh's site.
nativetexan is offline  
Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
carolaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Behind my sewing machine
Posts: 7,144
Default

That is so neat!
carolaug is offline  
Old 12-19-2010, 02:29 PM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Merced, CA
Posts: 4,188
Default

Originally Posted by nativetexan
well there is a pattern on www.winnowing.com
Christine Thresh's site.
-------------------------------
Someone a day or so ago asked for a single Wedding Ring pattern for her DD. I think this might work nicely for her, but have lost the link. She can use either 2 of the rings or all over the quilt with them with this pattern.

I absolutely LOVE this book case quilt, I have book cases both free standing and built in all over my house.
Ramona Byrd is offline  
Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
ChrisB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas DFW area
Posts: 805
Default

Originally Posted by Corky
In March it is my turn to ask for Friendship Blocks from one of my quilt guilds.

I would like to have them all do a section of a bookshelf or bookcase. Using items such as books, planters, knick-knacks, etc.

I have been collecting pictures and ideas for a couple years.

Do any of you have (free or cheap!) pictures or patterns of book shelves or ideas you have done?

I need help with instructions for the blocks. Do I have them just do the blocks with a common background and then I put the "shelf" part on? Should the books be all the way to the front edge of the 'shelf' or back a bit? What about height and length? Help!!

I am sort of thinking of having them use selvedge edges for the book titles and using their own names for the authors? Or they can make up their own titles.

Doesn't that sound like fun?
:shock:
This is the one I did for a grandson last year. I added my own touches for his interests - labeled Harry Potter books, a Coke can etc. I ordered the pattern from here: http://quiltbug.com/patterns/winnowing.htm
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145288.jpe   attachment-145289.jpe  
ChrisB is offline  
Old 12-19-2010, 03:09 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beautiful Washington State
Posts: 843
Default

Those are perfect ideas. Giving them each a piece of the "wood' will help them with colors. I think I will provide the background fabric. Maybe something mottled so it looks like light is showing. I can have different heights to the shelves, have some of them make tall books, some shorter so I have an assortment.

Thanks for the great ideas, Sandra!!

Originally Posted by SandraJennings
Sounds like a great idea. Keeping a similar background could work, then again, any pictures you find of bookcases ( in real life) have shadings due to the angle of sun light. Perhaps giving them a 2" square of your "bookcase wood" would help them. Setting a minimum and maximum for book lengths might help too.This is like a mystery quilt. Cant wait to see what you end up with in your library.
Corky is offline  
Old 12-19-2010, 03:11 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Corky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Beautiful Washington State
Posts: 843
Default

OMGosh, its wonderful, Chris! Thanks for sharing!

I thought I could give them ideas of what I would like on my shelves, a plant, a fish bowl, a toy, etc

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Originally Posted by Corky
In March it is my turn to ask for Friendship Blocks from one of my quilt guilds.

I would like to have them all do a section of a bookshelf or bookcase. Using items such as books, planters, knick-knacks, etc.

I have been collecting pictures and ideas for a couple years.

Do any of you have (free or cheap!) pictures or patterns of book shelves or ideas you have done?

I need help with instructions for the blocks. Do I have them just do the blocks with a common background and then I put the "shelf" part on? Should the books be all the way to the front edge of the 'shelf' or back a bit? What about height and length? Help!!

I am sort of thinking of having them use selvedge edges for the book titles and using their own names for the authors? Or they can make up their own titles.

Doesn't that sound like fun?
:shock:
This is the one I did for a grandson last year. I added my own touches for his interests - labeled Harry Potter books, a Coke can etc. I ordered the pattern from here: http://quiltbug.com/patterns/winnowing.htm
Corky is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
diannemc
Pictures
100
07-06-2013 10:47 PM
LeslieFrost
Pictures
25
09-30-2011 02:27 PM
Thusnelda
Pictures
43
09-20-2011 12:00 PM
RevPam
Tutorials
29
07-30-2011 05:22 PM
NAIROD
Links and Resources
3
04-22-2009 08:49 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.