Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for the Perfect Iron... >

Looking for the Perfect Iron...

Looking for the Perfect Iron...

Old 09-30-2019, 06:51 AM

I have the olios that Jenny Doan uses on her show. Love it with my wool pressing mat
Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 AM

I can’t seem to get the correct mane to stay. It is the Oliso
Old 09-30-2019, 09:14 AM

I bought an Oliso a few months ago. I love it.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:04 AM

Yes, I was going to recommend that one, too! Can't see spending money for any iron.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-30-2019 at 10:24 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 09-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Wow wee, I’ve been looking at the price of some of these fancy irons. I’m 75 years old and I hope my 40 year old iron keeps on chugging.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Before buying an iron I would suggest you go to a couple places and lift them up and see how it feels in your hand. And check for the watts. If there isn't enough weight, you will have to push it harder. And if there is not enough watts it won't get hot enough. I really like to use steam but found the new irons just leak if they are full and because if you wait for them to heat up - but don't move them they turn off. So I use a good spray bottle if I need it. I usually starch so don't need the steam and I also have a wool pressing mat. For me I have the Shark Pro - it is 1800 watts. I have used inexpensive and very expensive - it's almost the luck of the draw if you get a good one.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:33 PM

I'm at a retreat in Texas with 50 quilers, so many different irons here! The weirdest one...whe it shuts off automatically you have to unplug it and replug it in. Still scratching my head over who'd design one that way, and why the owner puts up with it
Don't think there is a perfect iron, but I wonder if all the leakage problems is because they aren't emptied after use. Like many here, I've just quit using water in mine, spritz instead.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:40 PM

The only iron I have that works like it's suppose to is an old Black & Decker Steam iron. Must be 30+ yrs old now and it has never failed me. I've had two Rowenta's and both leak like a sieve. Worthless as teats on a boar. The 2nd was a free replacement from Rowenta. I just do a spray with a bottle and then use the Rowenta. I think we're just doomed to replace our irons every couple of years as they don't make them to work much longer than that.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:13 PM

I gave up on putting water in my irons. I go with the ol' spray bottle of water on the side. Works perfect everytime.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I've looked at some of the irons mentioned and other I haven't seen so far. So more to research!

I contacted a manufacturer to ask why they recommend emptying after use. I *had* thought it was too relieve pressure on the tank. But they told me that emptying the water keeps the steam clean and reduces buildup of calcium deposits. IMHO, these issues can be resolved by regular use of the cleaning function. So maybe this doesn't have to be a factor.

I hear you all about using a spray bottle but my room is so tight that I am reluctant to do so because of overspray getting on furniture or the back of my sewing machine. I occasionally use Magic Sizing and recently noticed rusting on the hinges for the drop leaf on my sewing cabinet which is right behind my ironing board.

I'll keep looking and update once I've made a decision. Thanks again!