Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for quilt pattern >

Looking for quilt pattern

Looking for quilt pattern

Old 12-08-2023, 08:57 AM

Default Looking for quilt pattern

I just saw a beautiful quilt on Pottery Barn website called Winter Dreams that has a Christmas tree in the center which is made out of strips of fabric. I love this quilt!! Does anyone have a pattern to make a quilt similar to this? Thank you for any help you may have!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!!
Old 12-08-2023, 09:18 AM

Welcome to the boards/first post

That is some tree! Similar but not the same there is this pattern on Etsy -- add some borders and I think you are close to bed sized:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/6635164...for?sts=1&dd=1

This one is also a contender on close, again would need some borders:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1534922...ttern-pdf?dd=1
Old 12-08-2023, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I think you're looking for the long strips put together as a braid, and I agree it's a lovely design. The only braided tree I found was this one. It's not at all like the one from Pottery Barn, but it might give you a starting off point to design your own.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:14 AM

That is a very neat design, was thinking what fun I could have with my embroidery machine too.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:58 AM

I'm assuming you mean this quilt:

It seems to be a variant of the log cabin block, with crazy-quilt style. Very cute!

Looking at image zoomed way in, I can see that there is a red square at the top of the trunk of the tree. That square is equivalent to center block of a log cabin block. Logs are steadily added to center square, but on only two sides of the square. (A regular log cabin block puts logs on all four sides of the center square.)

What makes this one particularly charming is that there is irregularity in lengths and widths of the strip, rather than building perfectly regular triangle shape. Plus all the fun embroidery and embellishment with various types of trim. The irregularity starts pretty very early. The first two logs (first one of the left, then one on the right) are the same width, and come out to the expected lengths, but after that the next two logs on the left have the same amount of protrusion.

I don't see any seams in the background even when I zoom way in, so I expect that the background material was used as a foundation while constructing the tree. I guess that the truck was sewn on first, then the red square and then all the logs, steadily working upwards the top.
Old 12-08-2023, 03:12 PM

Iceblossom, thank you for the links to the awesome tree patterns! I think they could be used for a quilt too, with the addition of borders to make it big enough. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 12-08-2023, 03:21 PM

Macybaby, I wish I had an embroidery machine!! I too, just love the design of this quilt. It's so nice to meet you! We inheritted two old sewing machines from my husband's grandmothers and there was thread, letters, the original books that came with the sewing machines, etc. I passed them on to our children who treasure them as much as I do. I cannot imagine sewing on one of those old machines!!
Old 12-08-2023, 03:29 PM

Yes, that is the quilt!! Thank you for your in-depth reply, platyhiker. After I posted my request I started really looking at the pattern and wondered if it was some variation of a log cabin. I'm currently working on a log cabin quilt, paper pieced. This is the first one I've done. I've never made a quilt without following a pattern so this will be a challenge for me. But it is just so pretty that I'll give it a try. I really appreciate your help!
Old 12-08-2023, 04:29 PM
Gay

I agree with platyhiker on this. There are no seams in the background fabric, and even along the strips the only work is the hand quilting and decorative work. I'm inclined to think this tree was a printed design on background, and as they advertise quilting and embroidery was done by hand. However, I wouldn't let that hold me back as I love a challenging quilt design, and the braid is not hard to do.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:17 AM

Gay, thanks for the reply. I have never done the braid before but since I love this quilt, I feel I am up to the challenge. I really appreciate your thoughts on this quilt. I can only imagine the possibilities!! Have a wonderful day!