Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area >

Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area

Looking for Quilting Machine with More Throat Area

Old 02-04-2021, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like you enjoying your new machine! Is the 110/18 needle you are using a Schmetz denim needle. If not you may have even better luck with it as the point is sharper than the Universal needle. This advice is from a farm wife who mends farmer's denim jeans and overalls/jackets.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:04 PM

It's a Universal needle. Didn't know there were Denim type needles. Oh well! I am halfway done with this project, and still using the first needle. I think I'll change this one for the second half to make sure I don't break anything. As things are, not sure I will ever need to use the thread or other 8 needles again. Only thing I would use them for is if someone else wants canvas flags or something made of denim.

I am definitely liking the BL Jazz2. It is a lot noisier than my Singer, and shakes a lot more. I am probably going to have to get a sturdier table, or just make one that doesn't shake when the BL is working. Singer doesn't even vibrate the the table I am using. I am guessing th3e Jazz2 is considered a heavy duty machine.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

Good to know the universal is working for you..smart to get the largest size.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:08 AM

May I ask you to help me as well? Looking for a sewing machine (I'm not an advanced crafter, somewhere between a beginner and amateur).
And after reading this thread, I've also found this sewing machine review. It also mentions a Brother one, but I found Singer machines interesting. Are they reliable? Easy to repair?
thanks in advance
Old 02-05-2021, 04:30 AM

I like your idea of pulling up a chair and breaking out the popcorn! After years, I still sit in awe watching an embroidery machine do its thing. An automated quilting machine might tip me over the edge!
Old 02-05-2021, 07:22 AM

SaraSimm, I am also fairly new at just under a year of sewing anything with a sewing machine. I did a lot of asking here on the Forums.

I read a lot of reviews online, but I learned a lot more by reading reviews and ratings on Amazon. I found that I should take some of these online reviews, like the top 10 of this or that with a grain of salt. Amazon reviews are actually from the users.

As to easily repaired, that all depends on just what you are going to do. Are you going to repair the machine yourself? If so, I have found lots of how to's on YouTube, but I can's say that all machines will have such.

If you are going to take the machine to a shop, it all depends on the availability of a repair shop near you. For myself, I will have to go about 75 miles one way to the nearest reputable repair shop. There are lots of repair shops, but sometimes they are not all the best when it comes to your machine. Take the time to find one that can service your brand machine, and one that has good ratings.

In other words, you have to do a lot of research for just about anything before you leap right in. Sorry, but this is the best I can give you for your questions. Again, all that said, Singer and Brother have generally, always gotten good ratings, though those can vary from model to model.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SarahSimm View Post
May I ask you to help me as well? Looking for a sewing machine (I'm not an advanced crafter, somewhere between a beginner and amateur).
And after reading this thread, I've also found this sewing machine review. It also mentions a Brother one, but I found Singer machines interesting. Are they reliable? Easy to repair?
thanks in advance
Sara- I would start a new thread with your question as you will get more responses. I wouldn't get a new Singer though. They aren't made like the old ones.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:23 AM
mkc

Originally Posted by CaleyH View Post
I found that I should take some of these online reviews, like the top 10 of this or that with a grain of salt.
The vast majority of those are simply content-scrape of select Amazon reviews with affiliate links added to monetize the website. Their content is useless (except to the website owner who makes money if you click a link on their page).

Amazon reviews are actually from the users.
Many are, but many are also suspect. Always run through a service like Fakespot.com or ReviewMeta.com to see how trustworthy the reviews are. In particular for a small or niche inexpensive item that has hundreds or thousands of reviews.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:17 AM

I'm glad you're figuring it out Caley. It's really too bad you don't live close to a Baby Lock dealer. You could get lessons there.
You might try this table.
I found it on Amazon, and because it folds up, and is super sturdy, I really like it. It has a steel frame, so it's heavy. But that is also what makes it good for holding up that heavy Jazz.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, for helping you sew over/past those big lumps, try this jean a ma jig. It is what I use when making my own jeans.
It is sold at almost any fabric / sewing / notions store:

https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/je...7C%20%24139.99

or here:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jean+a+ma...s_ts-doa-p_1_9

​​​​​​​And I totally agree with you and MKC.... You can't really trust all those reviews....
Old 02-07-2021, 07:19 AM

CaleyH - you are lucky you have more patience as you've gotten older. I find I have less