Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to restart my quilting life after my move to CA

Looking to restart my quilting life after my move to CA

Am finally getting settled enuf after a couple years of adjusting to what is my new life after DH's death, reconnecting w/a HS BF at my 40th HS reunion, & making a move from AZ to El Dorado Hills in northern CA to begin thinking about finding some local like-minded ladies to get together & piece/quilt with like I had in AZ. Of course I was there for over 18 years & have long established friendships thru the guilds and spin off groups. Will start by going to a local guild meeting tomorrow nite in Folsom & seeing if there are some small spin off get-togethers here, which is what I'm really more interested in.

I really haven't done much sewing or quilting in the past couple years (nor have I done much more than lurk here) & am hoping to get back into getting comfortable w/machine quilting on my Tin Lizzie by practicing on donation quilts. I was quite enjoying the learning curve w/pantographs & I don't turn out tops that quickly, so it was a perfect match before my world collapsed. And, even tho I wasn't quilting, I was still occasionally joining the local AZ ladies for a social visit while they sewed on Saturday mornings, or met for lunch when I was in town. I did take one (of many of my older UFO's) hand quilting project w/me to Iowa when I spent a couple months w/my mom after my dad died at Xmas & have since had nothing but problems w/my right wrist. I'm pretty sure arthritis has come to call big time, which is one of the reasons I'd been pushing myself to learn the machine quilting as it had started in my fingers years ago - but I managed to keep it at bay (yeaa for Glucosamine Chondroitin!). Am hoping that when I get my studio put together w/this move (especially now that I am approaching official retirement this next BD) that I will still be able to enjoy my quilting, because it has turned into real pain w/all the sorting, packing, & moving this past several months.

Anybody here in El Dorado Hills, CA, or close to?? I haven't lived in this area of Cali. for over 28 years.

Blog Entries
    I'm in Oklahoma... but will pray for an easy, smooth settling-in... and hope for soon-to-be-new friends!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Welcome back to California. I wish I was closer to you, I would love to have a quilting buddy.
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

I will be thinking of you as you go to the guild meeting. I bet you find several kindred spirits there. Wish I was in California, as I would go with you.

Dina

Blog Entries
    I really feel for you, as that is a lot of change to cope with over a relatively short period of time. I gave up most hand work several years ago because of arthritis, but have come to really enjoy the machine options. It's good that you will be working actively to create a new support network. The QB offers great support too, so do more than lurk! Post for help getting back into working on your Tin Lizzie too, if you need it.

You can put a post up in the chit chat section with a title of "anyone in El Dorado Hills", or however wide you want to make your request such as your county.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Please accept my condolences for your loss of your DH and father. i'm sure someone on the board lives fairly close and you will be able to connect. Prayers from the Gulf.

So sorry about your husband. Hope your life in CA will be everything you want.

Blog Entries
    Are you taking any anti-depressive's, sometimes they can really help short term to get you back up and running, it did for me. Some people have trouble producing healthy neurotransmitters for moods, taking the pills for a short period of time, gets you back on track.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Power Poster
    Good luck with your new quilt guild and your new way of life.

I'm nearish to you...south of Sacramento:> There are lots of active guilds in the area and you'd be welcomed at any of them.

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the area neighbor. I have lived in Folsom since 05 and have been quilting since 07. I lived in San Jose, CA for over 40 years then retired from teaching and moved to this lovely area. PM me and we can meet for lunch - I live just down the hill from you.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Wishing you an easy transition. There is a quilt store in Placerville and Folsom has a guild. I live just outside of Sacramento and we have dear friends (non-quilty) in El Dorado Hills. Maybe we can do a Saturday sew-in or meet for a cup of joe and chat quilty talk someday. It's not that far and our car is used to the trip.

LOTS of great guilds and shops near there! Welcome to the area! I'm down in Modesto - about 60 miles south - but frequent the shops up there - I hope you get to feeling like "home" soon!

Power Poster
    Good luck with your 'new' life.

Sounds like you've had to adjust to some major major changes - My condolences to you on the loss of your husband and father.

Wishing you all the best in this next chapter of your life! I'm sure you'll find quilters to share your love of quilting.
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

Wanting to get abck to quilting and joining groups sounds like you are trying to set up a new life. I hope all goes well for you. I see several are eager to meet with you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Welcome back to California, wish I were closer!!!!!

The best part of quilting (besides making quilts) are the people who readily become new friends. Welcome to CA!
    I used to live in Placerville, but now am in the Bay Area. There are quilters just about everywhere. Getting active will make your transition easier. Perhaps an open house/housewarming party with quilters you get to meet could be a nice start?

Blog Entries
    After lurking around it looks as if you have new friends to meet already and local sops and guild . Soon you will not have enough hours in a day to quilt. God bless.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Looks like you are on your way to finding new quilting friends. Wishing you all the very very best for the future.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Welcome from Rescue, near Cameron Park. Pm me and we can talk. I am working with the local Project Linus group and we would love to have you join. There is also a guild in Placerville.

Any local quilt shops around? If one offers classes, that's a great way to meet quilters who live nearby. Working in a LQS, can vouch for friendships developed over classes lasting alone time, and introductions to others through those classmates broadening your community. Good luck on your move, since you are reaching out you will surely be successful.

Blog Entries
    I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like you are on the path of healing and I hope you find some quilters to connect with. I also suggest treating yourself to a nice quilting space and visiting your local quilt shops for some new fabrics and goodies. Be good to yourself, wishing you the best of luck.

Thank you all for your best wishes and welcomes to CA. Have PM'd a few of you that are nearby so that we may be able to chat or get together.

laynak - excellent idea, once I get my sewing studio together. Maybe those of us that are close can all meet each other if the others haven't met each other yet. It's amazing how small the world becomes as we get older...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast